Remotely site client in unassigned computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have wsus in HQ site and other wsus in remote sites configured as  replicate mode .All our  WSUS manages just servers Clients .

the principal wsus is : wsus1 with computer groups : A

The downstream one is : wsus2

wsus1  manages servers in HQ site  and these servers are showen up in group A with target client side option configured in GPO

in our AD , each site has his own OU servers  .So my goal is to manage the remote site wsus from the principal one (Approve updates ,...)

i create a GPO for remote site server with target client side = "A" and the wsus server is wsus2 so the client can dowload the approved updates from the nearest wsus .

the issue is from wsus1 server console  ( The principal) , i see some remote servers in unssigned computer group and i want these servers to be in group A but event that i can not change their group even i remove option from computer to use just upade server console and not gpo just to unblock this problem.and i check some of these servers , i can see the target client side =A in RSOP report .

any idea?may be my configuration is not good 

Regards

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi azuriste,

Thanks for your posting.

Depending on your description, some of your clients do not appear in the correct computer group. I guess some of the settings are incorrect when you have the client point to WSUS. It is recommended to refer to the following steps to confirm:

1. Check the following picture settings as the following: WSUS console -> Options -> Computers
    If you are using the GPO for the client pointing to WSUS, this  following setting must be checking before the GPO is applied.

2. Please check that the computer group name in WSUS console is the same as the GPO-Enable client-side targeting name setting. You could refer to the following pictures for GPO settings:

If you have any other questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:13 AM
  • Hello ,

Yes all the setting above are deployed .is there a log to see why computer is in unssigned group ?

Regards

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:32 AM
  • Hi azurist,

Regards of the day. Thanks for your posting.

1.  To avoid misunderstanding, I have the following issue to confirm with you:

i create a GPO for remote site server with target client side = "A" and the wsus server is wsus2 so the client can dowload the approved updates from the nearest wsus .

Please confirm that the description above mean that all clients are assigned to Group A through Group Policy settings.

2.  Please refer to the following steps to check client group policy settings that are not assigned to a specified group.
    Please consider signing in to the registry editor and following the below path to check whether the registry value for the key below is WSUS server FQDN.
    Registry path: Registry Editor\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

Registry keys: "WUServer" and "WUStatusServer"

3.  Please refer to the following link to creat computer group:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc720450(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

If you have any updates, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Rita

Monday, May 18, 2020 9:58 AM
  • Hi azuriste,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:16 AM