none
Lync Client Slow Address Book Sync

Question

• Lync Server 2010 set up on a single server install.  Exchange 2003 on a separate server.

When I install the Lync cilent on any PC, the users are unable to search for contacts to add for at least a few hours or more.  They get the message "The address book is preparing to synchronize.  Search results may not be current."

Why does it take so long for the address book to synch?  In Communicator 2007 R2 server, syncing was immediate.

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:33 PM

Answers

• Actually a later update of the R2 client would randomly schedule the addres book download at differnet intervals within a few hours; the Lync client can exhibit this same behaivor.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• Actually a later update of the R2 client would randomly schedule the addres book download at differnet intervals within a few hours; the Lync client can exhibit this same behaivor.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:15 AM
  • I see the same behaviour in my lab environment with only 2 users?

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:10 AM
  • I see the same behaviour in my lab environment with only 2 users?

So do i.  i'm still waiting for the addressbook prepairing to sync for 2 days with just 2 users, but sometime it can found the user but mostly it show "The address book is preparing to synchronize.  Search results may not be current " :(

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Take a look at this blog article which describes the process in detail: http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/updating-the-lync-2010-address-book/

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Has anyone resolved this?  I have a Lync server setup and I've been waiting for 2 days now and still not seeing my two test accounts.  I can however use the FQDN of the user testuser@domain.com and then I can IM, but I don't see it in my Lync Address Book.........any ideas?

d
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Which version of office are you using?

here it works on workstations with office 2010 but not with office 2003...

Friday, July 8, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hello

my old users can be found in lync's address book, but when i am creating new user in ad and enabling in lync, it can not be found in lync's address book, but when i delete files named "GalContacts" and "GalContacts.db.idx", after a few moment files are automatically created and then i can find my new user in lync's addres book

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Try to run an update-csadresbook on your front end.

Check the local rights on your appdata folder in the profile folder on your PC.

Lync downloads the adressbook at random between 0 and 60 minutes. You can force it by the registry for troubleshooting only.

See also:

http://www.expta.com/2011/02/script-to-force-download-of-lync.html

Sebastiaan Poels

www.unifiedcollaboration.nl

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Your solution didnt work im i afraid. Did anyone else find a fix for this?
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:59 PM
  • Please follow the below mentioned KB to fix the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435699

• Edited by Sudhakar.d Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:48 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:48 AM