Auto Client Push to servers not working RRS feed

• Question

• We have auto site-wide client push setup and have both workstations and servers check as well as have the servers OU in the correct discovery method.  For some reason the servers aren't getting the clients push to them automatically.  It seems to work perfectly fine for regular workstations but just not for servers.  I am not sure what log to check out for this to see what's wrong.  Does anyone have any idea?

I am able to get the servers to work if I enable the Software Update-based push but I'd rather not enable that if we don't have to.

Friday, June 15, 2012 7:56 PM

Answers

• Alright, seems I didn't add some of the boundary groups for a site assignment.  Silly mistake.  Thanks for catching that.

I have one question now that I've made that change.  Do the clients have a window  of when they will get the SCCM software installed?  I have gone through and made sure all the boundary groups are set now and have tested moving some new servers into the OU's that are set for 2012 and they are getting the client software just fine; however, servers that had been in the OU for weeks and never enabled are not getting the software.

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:49 PM

All replies

• ccm.log? Permissions issue?

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum/|

• Proposed as answer by Dennis de Roo Monday, June 18, 2012 11:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RyanM_H Monday, June 18, 2012 11:18 AM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Are the servers showing up as assigned=yes in the console? Is client push configured so that servers are also included?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:02 PM
  • If you get an "ccmsetup" in your %windir% directory, then the SCCM Server can connect to the Admin$ share of the server. If so, check ccmsetup.log, which resides in this folder.
    If the ccmsteup folder does not exist, the SCCM Server can't connect to the Admin$ share. That could have different reasons:
    -Firewall blocks CIFS
    -Credential are not local admin on servers
    -etc
    Check, as John mentioned, ccm.log on the site server.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:17 PM
  • I do have client pushed configured for both servers and clients.  The Install account that is set to use is our Administrator domain admin account so it has full access to every system.  I've checked the CMM.log and see no issues in the log.  Right now it says the CCR count in queue is 0 so it's like it's not finding the servers at all.  There are no firewalls enabled on our servers so that's not stopping it either.

As for the assigned=yes, i think that's a 2007 thing.  I can't see an option to turn that column on for 2012.

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:30 AM
  • So you don't get the ccmsetup folder in %windir%?

Are the devices you want to push the client to them assigned to a site in ConfigMgr? (They should, as you said, when you distributre the client alternatively, the client can connect to the site server). Is there an older Client installed on the servers? (I had one server, which I couldn't upgrade vom RC to Final, I had to manually uninstall the SCCM Client).
    Does the SCCM Server got a route to the Subnet of the Server? Is the subnet as Boundary created, an d Member of a boundary Group? (Just in case you forgot the Server LAN). The Push install client wizard end up with a green mark?

/Edit: I meant the "Site Code" column, there can you see a site assignment

Monday, June 18, 2012 11:35 AM
  • That's correct, I'm not getting the cmmsetup folder in the windir nor is anything being logged in the CMM log.

The way we have our SCCM 2012 setup is there is one primary site.  The there are 9 other sites that are all connected on our MPLS by at minimum a 10MB line.  So each of the 9 other sites is setup as a distribution point.  Each site is set in the Active Directory sites and services and that's how we have our Boundary's setup.  Then each Boundary is setup to a Boundary group that points to the site server for that local boundary.  So we have 10 sites total, 10 Boundary's and 10 Boundary groups, 1 primary server and 9 distribution points.

I did notice something now when i tried to deploy a server client manually, it did give me a red X saying "Error: Some of the selected resources are not assigned to a site".  They don't have the site code when looking at them in the collections.  I'm looking into why that would be the case now.

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:03 PM
  • "Error: Some of the selected resources are not assigned to a site".  <- That's the problem. If you can figure out, you will be able to push the client. Usually this problem is Boundary related, check them twice ;)
    Monday, June 18, 2012 12:16 PM
  • So we have 10 sites total, 10 Boundary's and 10 Boundary groups, 1 primary server and 9 distribution points

Have you enabled the boundary group(s) for site assignment?

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Know it could be pretty basic but try this checklist:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682102

And look at the section :

How to Assign Clients to a Site in Configuration Manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682060

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Alright, seems I didn't add some of the boundary groups for a site assignment.  Silly mistake.  Thanks for catching that.

I have one question now that I've made that change.  Do the clients have a window  of when they will get the SCCM software installed?  I have gone through and made sure all the boundary groups are set now and have tested moving some new servers into the OU's that are set for 2012 and they are getting the client software just fine; however, servers that had been in the OU for weeks and never enabled are not getting the software.

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Automatic client push should be kicked off as soon as the next discovery record is added to the database.

Monday, June 18, 2012 2:56 PM
  • So there is no time-limit for it to stop trying to install?  For example, I have the 9 other SCCM servers listed in a collection, none of them have gotten the client even after a full discovery of the AD Systems (yes I do have the Site System servers option checked for deployment).  I then deleted a server out of the SCCM console and then ran a rediscovery again and it added the server back in and installed the client on that one server but not the other 8.  I can live with deleteing these but I didn't think it's supposed to work like that and wanted to see if you have an idea on that one.  The other 8 servers aren't mentioned in the CCM log file.
    Monday, June 18, 2012 3:56 PM