Problem ejecting mass USB storage device RRS feed

• Question

• My client is using Windows Server 2008 R2 standard edition with HP Proliant ML110 G7 server and using the Windows Backup Schedule software it will backup successfully 7 days per week at the specified time of 3am, so as not to impact the operation of the business.

However after successfully backing up, and removing successfully via ejecting the ejection symbol in the bottom left icon that indicates the drive inserted from Monday to Friday, however once leaving the Friday USB HDD plugged in to do the backup it successfully backed up on Fri,Sat,Sun,Mon at 3am, however on the Monday morning when the disk ejection is attempted the following error occurs...

'Problem ejecting Mass USB Storage Device'. This device cannot be ejected now, please close any windows or programs which maybe in use, and try again later.'

It has been two weeks of trialling the default or recommended settings in the backup schedule and this has occurred twice in two weeks. It has unfortunately lead me to forcably removing mondays drive, which is a cause for concern as continally doing so may cause the data on the disk over time to become corrupted, or loss of data may occur.

When i close all Windows Explorer applications and check for applications using the device it appears that there is nothing ulitizing the HDD.

i wish to resolve this issue asap as the client and myself are a little frustrated, and want to see an end to this.

Any information which would shed light on this situation and help remedy the issue would be least to say greatly appreciated.

Monday, May 7, 2012 3:45 AM