Windows XP SP3 64 bits security RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All !

I have a little question about Windows XP 64 bits protection. I have some "Desktop Operators" (under Win P 64 bits SP3 US). They use internal Web applications, so they use Internet Explorer.

I want to block the access to the windows filesystem to operators in order to avoid files and folders deletions. Ok, I use AD GPOs for protecting a bit of windows filesystem, but it is not sufficient. If an operator enter "C:\" in IE bar, he sees the filesystem trees.

Questions: 

is it possible to mask, in IE or with another method, the access to windows filesystem ?

is possible to limit the query to only use URL and not C:\ or C:\windows\ or file/// ?

is it possible to desactivate ALL shortcuts (by keyboard Windows key + E)

is it possible to desactivate(or rename/replace) "explorer.exe" for some people ?

However, I have applications on the desktop which use API to access to filesystem. Is it possible to limit windows filesystem access to the applications and not to IE ?

Thanks for advance for your ideas / help - Regards - Have a nice day ! RHUM2

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:45 AM

Answers

• You could look into a Desktop Management tool called Fortress that I used at a previous job to keep the students off the C: drive.  It worked pretty well and it's not very expensive. 

Freeman

• Marked as answer by RHUM2 Monday, March 11, 2013 3:00 PM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 12:38 PM