How could viewing a document result in it being checked out? RRS feed

• Question

• Sharepoint 2007 platform, 32 bit windows 2003

Office 2010 on user desktop, 32 bit windows xp

User with contribute privleges browses to a SP 2007 Doc Library which has major versioning turned on and which requires check out to edit.

They click on a document just to read it. It is not checked out when they click.

They view the document. They do not try to make changes. They do not click on the "stripe" that says check out if you want to make changes.

They close the window and go on about their business.

They get contacted by users, asking them to check the document back in because a change is needed.

However, they did not check the document out to begin with. When they return to the library, it shows up as them having the document checked out.

They insist that they did not check the document out. I have asked them whether they can demonstrate the use case to me so that I can attempt to replicate.

If this only had happened once, I would think it was an issue with something the user had done. However, I have 3 different users reporting the same sort of thing, and who are reporting that it is happening to them enough times to be a nuisance.

So far, no one has been able to duplicate it for me.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:15 PM

All replies

• I can't say that I've ever specifically seen this, but I've seen a number of strange things happen on occasion with client integration when the version and service pack of the SharePoint server don't match the version and service pack of the Office client.  so I would say the only real way to fix this would be to upgrade your SharePoint environment to the same service pack level as 2010 or downgrade your workstation office clients back to the service Pack level of your SharePoint 2007 server.  The only other fix would be to turn off "require check out" because its clear that something about downloading the file has flipped the checkout flag.  Remember that whether you view or edit the document you still download the file so it looks the same to SharePoint.  Its only specific messaging between Word and SharePoint through client Integration that lets SharePoint know whether you are opening for edit or read.  That message is clearly getting garbled.  I suspect its because of the version mismatch.  If you were on SharePoint 2010 and using Office 2007 I know there are things that won't work because of the mismatch.  I suspect that is also true going the other way.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.

I find it peculiar that there are not hoards roaming the internet with buckets of hot tar and feathers, if  in general people are having large scale issues dealing with Office 2010 documents.

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:55 PM
  • The point is that Office 2010 didn't exist when SharePoint 2007 shipped, so how could the client interaction have been designed to be perfect.  The situation described is both relatively unique and also not one that is catastrophic.  I suspect the reason you aren't seeing public mobs is that its a lot more common to see SharePoint 2010 being used with Office 2007 than the other way around.  Its usually a much easier experience to upgrade the SharePoint server than it is to upgrade all the desktops.  So although you will have a few people using Office 2010 with SharePoint 2007 it just isn't a common scenario.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Saturday, September 8, 2012 1:57 PM