Lync 2011 not working on Mac OS 10.12 RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried every step from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2629861 including eventual full removal of app and all library & keychain files.  Any other ideas?  Error message states that service may not be available or I may not be connected to the internet -- both of which are bogus.  
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:12 PM

Answers

• This Fixed My issue, I make sure you always allow the trust in the last step.

To resolve the "Sign in to Microsoft Lync failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the Internet." you need to reimport your Lync server certificate. 

Ask your system administrator of the Lync server to export the server certificate and provide to you:

- Open MMC > Add/Remove Snap-in > Select Certificates > Click Add > Select Computer account > Click Next > Local computer > Finish > OK

- Expand Certificates > Personal > Certificates

- Click on the certificate with the fully qualified domain name (i.e. Lyncserver.xyz.com) with the intended purpose "Server Authentication"

- Right click > All Tasks > Export > Next > No, do not export the private key > Select Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER) > Next > Give it a name (fully qualified domain name) > Next > Finish

Once provided with the .cer file, exit Lync on your Mac, double click the .cer file to import it into your keychain. Once imported, double click the certificate in Keychain and in the Trust section change "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust".

Start Lync back up, and you should be able to log in.

• Marked as answer by clancifer Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:09 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem and performed the same steps.  
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Sorry to hear but good to know.  I also checked out the firewall settings and it was turned off. I'm at a loss as to what else could be causing this.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Was it working before?  Do you have sipinternal.domain.com A records and _sipinternaltls._tcp SRV records configured properly in your internal DNS zones?

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:57 PM
  • Not sure about the second question, but it was working fine this morning prior to Mac OS Sierra update.  
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Hi

You can try to use Skype For Business 16 Mac Beta

https://www.skypepreview.com/

it works great for me, but no desktop sharing yet

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:06 PM
  • I wish I could still sign up for the preview.  Since I often work remotely, Lync is a huge part of how I stay connected to the central office, so it will suck not having it working. 
    Friday, September 23, 2016 3:35 AM
  • Hi clancifer,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Would you please tell us did the issue only appeared on the specific client ?

Did you try to use another Mac device, is that the same issue ?

If the issue only appeared on the specific Lync client, please make sure the Lync client with latest update and test again.

In order to avoid the impact of DNS, you could try to manually sign in Lync client, for more details, please refer to

http://www.cgoosen.com/2014/04/lync-for-mac-2011-lync-was-unable-to-sign-in/

If all users have this issue, it may be something wrong with your Lync server side.

You could use Microsoft remote connectivity analyzer to test if there is any error occurred.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Moreover, make sure you Lync server with the latest update.

Hope this reply helpful to you.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 5:27 AM
  • Hi Alice.  Thank you for the reply.

I can confirm that the failure to login only happens on the one MBP that was updated to 10.12 Sierra.  I can log into Lync on using my same credentials on any other three macs that are running 10.11.6 (El Capitan).  As mentioned earlier, I received the same OC_KeyContainer password error that others are reporting immediately upon trying to use Lync after installing Sierra update.  I did a full uninstall, including removal of all libraries and keychain pieces, and a fresh install of Lync 14.4.1 but still the same error message.  As a test, I downloaded Lync 14.4.1 on my personal Mac Book Air running El Capitan and I was able to log into Lync successfully that way.  From all indicators, there is something wrong with the way Lync is functioning within the Sierra update.  

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:15 PM
  • I have the exact same issue. Same version, same issue. It asks for an OC_KeyContainer password. This started after I installed Sierra. I'm on a MacBook Air, MacOS 10.12 and Lync 14.4.1.

Saturday, September 24, 2016 3:41 AM
  • Has anyone been able to run Lync 14.4.1 on Sierra?  I keep seeing reports of it not working afterwards but nothing seems to resolve it.  
    Monday, September 26, 2016 12:59 PM
  • I also have the same issues. I have removed the application , key, reimported certs and still an issue on Sierra. It was working fine before update to 10.2 and I am on Lync 14.4.1
    • Edited by Jhiciano Monday, September 26, 2016 4:24 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Is there any type of escalation process to have it looked by MS?  It's killing me not having Lync working.  
    Monday, September 26, 2016 6:18 PM
  • This Fixed My issue, I make sure you always allow the trust in the last step.

To resolve the "Sign in to Microsoft Lync failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the Internet." you need to reimport your Lync server certificate. 

Ask your system administrator of the Lync server to export the server certificate and provide to you:

- Open MMC > Add/Remove Snap-in > Select Certificates > Click Add > Select Computer account > Click Next > Local computer > Finish > OK

- Expand Certificates > Personal > Certificates

- Click on the certificate with the fully qualified domain name (i.e. Lyncserver.xyz.com) with the intended purpose "Server Authentication"

- Right click > All Tasks > Export > Next > No, do not export the private key > Select Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER) > Next > Give it a name (fully qualified domain name) > Next > Finish

Once provided with the .cer file, exit Lync on your Mac, double click the .cer file to import it into your keychain. Once imported, double click the certificate in Keychain and in the Trust section change "When using this certificate" to "Always Trust".

Start Lync back up, and you should be able to log in.

• Marked as answer by clancifer Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:09 PM
  • That worked!!  Thank you!!!!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:29 PM