none
SP2013 CU Upgrade failing on 1 server

    Question

  • Hi, we are busy prepping for upgrading from March 2016 CU to November 2016 CU.

    On QA it fails on 1 server. 3 servers is successful.

    PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

    Error:

    I have tried:

    Clearing Cache

    Some other variations of PSConfig

    And other ideas?

    Thanks

    Monday, March 06, 2017 1:28 PM

Answers

  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

    The server with the issue is a app server. 

    If i look at the rest of the servers i dont see any extended sites but think since the only server with the issue is the one above that the WFE servers should be fine.

    Going to have a look in the uls logs and get back to you.


    Stop the Foundation Web service on this server. If the SITE_ still remains, delete it manually from IIS. Validate the same on your other servers running Foundation Web.

    Trevor Seward

    Office Servers and Services MVP



    Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:19 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Danie Claassen,

    Please check whether there is an extended site that is no longer exist in IIS.

    Check the ULS logs to see there are more error messages about the upgrade issue.

    If there is an extended site does not exist, you need to unextend it, then try running psconfig command.

    Navigated Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Web Application > Select related web application > Click on delete dropdown > Remove SharePoint from IIS Web Site >Select the site and remove it.

    Best regards,

    Linda Zhang


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:05 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

    The server with the issue is a app server. 

    If i look at the rest of the servers i dont see any extended sites but think since the only server with the issue is the one above that the WFE servers should be fine.

    Going to have a look in the uls logs and get back to you.


    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:10 PM
  • The most concrete error i see is the error in first mail in the log error file.

    In the detailed upgrade log:

    WARNING    Exception occured when querying feature with id [0de4e2af-3d23-48a6-a19b-e43f359a0405], skipping. Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to find the XML file at location

    In the ULS i obviously see lots of details but nothing that jumps out at me:

    Filtering the ULS Viewer on Category "Upgrade" there are Lots of high level events but nothing that looks like the issue:

    At the end there is the following:

    Stop SessionMaintenanceThread by signaling s_EventStopThread

    SessionMaintenanceThread is stopping. Signaling s_EventThreadStopped

    Stopped SessionMaintenanceThread

    PSCONFIG (0x072C) 0x332C SharePoint Foundation Upgrade SPUpgradeSession ajxmb DEBUG Upgrade session closed 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

    Not much in the Diagnostics file:

    Task upgrade has failed with an unknown exception

    Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException: Upgrade completed with errors.

    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.Upgrade.SPUpgradeException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Upgrade completed with errors.

    Task upgrade has failed

    Task upgrade SharePoint Products failed, so stopping execution of the engine

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:34 PM
  • I am trying some of the following suggestions at this post:https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/30361797-c9a3-49dc-bf8c-15f099dac69a/sharepoint-2013-upgrade-to-sp1-failed-at-step-9?forum=sharepointadmin

    Cleared Cache

    Then:

    (After IISReset i restarted timer service)

    In the logs the same errors as last post.

    There is a bunch of errors in missing features and missing files(XML)

    They give warnings but dont think they are causing this...can that be the problem?


    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:14 PM
  • is site.domain.co.za... your central admin or regular web application?

    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:00 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

    The server with the issue is a app server. 

    If i look at the rest of the servers i dont see any extended sites but think since the only server with the issue is the one above that the WFE servers should be fine.

    Going to have a look in the uls logs and get back to you.


    Stop the Foundation Web service on this server. If the SITE_ still remains, delete it manually from IIS. Validate the same on your other servers running Foundation Web.

    Trevor Seward

    Office Servers and Services MVP



    Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:19 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Waqas

    Yes, site Collections domain's are .co.za
    Central admin is ServerName:port
    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Foundation Web Service is not running on this server.

    Just tried to browse the directory for the SITE_ and it does not seem to exist. Deleting and trying PSConfig again as suggested.

    Will check that tomorrow on the other servers.

    Have to run quickly but thanks for all the replies so far.

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Trevor your a star (:

    Deleting that site worked. Server upgraded.

    Thanks so much!

    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 3:43 PM