App-V 4.6 - Load Balanced Uses SMB Although HTTP is specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have set up an App-V 4.6 SP1 based system with two management / streaming servers. I have load balanced these with a NetScaler using Direct Server Return for RTSP.

The packages are delivered via RTSP and we have specified the OSD files to be delivered by HTTP (in the application settings and in the default content path in the management server).

Now, although the server is refreshing successfully and the applications launch, when I point a client directly at one of the servers, it launches almost immediately (apps are pre-cached) but if I point it at the load balanced address, it takes around 10 secs, with the sys tray icon reporting 'Checking for updates...'.

Having looked at netstat during the launch phase, the client is connecting to the management server on port 445 (presumably SMB) and then when pointing to the load balanced address it is stuck at sending a SYN on port 445. I presume that this is the cause of the delay in launching the application.

Had anybody else seen this behaviour before? I'm not sure why it's trying to contact on SMB rather than HTTP (all the entries in the logs suggest HTTP) and even then, not sure why the NetScaler would not load balance the request as on 'ANY/ANY'. I might need DisableStrictNameChecking, I suppose (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308 - though I'm using 2008 R2) but I would prefer it not to use SMB at all.

Regards, Steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:49 AM

Answers

• I've since noticed that File and Printer sharing was not enabled on the loopbac adapter on the App-V server, so I presume that's ahy the ANY/ANY was failing as the DSR Traffic would have been forwarded to this adapter. By implementing a traditional IP based vServer, this then forwarded the traffic to the 'normal' adapter and as this had F&P enabled this then worked.

Still don't know why it's trying to use SMB or the SMB port, at least (I can see no open files or sessions within share management on the server.

• Marked as answer by CTXDon Friday, February 8, 2013 10:02 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you configure your client, OSD-files (ergo package) to use SMB - then it connects to SMB. I can't think of any other reason why?

How have you created your packages? How have you configured your client? How have you imported this into the management server?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Nicke,

Thanks for your reply. However, I can't see anywhere that I have specified SMB. I have attached two images, one for the application settings (in management server and in the OSD file) and another showing the default content path, as well as the publishing server on the client.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hello,
    Is your client configuration overriding these settings?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Hi Nick,

I don't think so. I looked in process monitor and saw reference to \\myappvvip\PIPE\NETLOGON. When pointing to the VIP the result was reported was 'BAD NETWORK PATH', when pointing directly to one of the App-V servers (by using a HOST file entry), the response was 'DUPLICATE NAME'. I expect the latter as it's making the request to the server using a name that does not match the server name (similar to the message you get when trying to map a drive for example with an alias without strict name checking disabled).

Anyhow, the upshot is that I created another vserver on the NetScaler listening on the same VIP address but specifying TCP and port 445 and app launch is now almost instantaneous. So, I've worked around the issue, I suppose but it's a pretty acceptable fix I feel.

Steve

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:34 PM
  • I've since noticed that File and Printer sharing was not enabled on the loopbac adapter on the App-V server, so I presume that's ahy the ANY/ANY was failing as the DSR Traffic would have been forwarded to this adapter. By implementing a traditional IP based vServer, this then forwarded the traffic to the 'normal' adapter and as this had F&P enabled this then worked.

Still don't know why it's trying to use SMB or the SMB port, at least (I can see no open files or sessions within share management on the server.

• Marked as answer by CTXDon Friday, February 8, 2013 10:02 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 10:02 AM