Windows 10 Hyper-V can't connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 physical servers running Windows Server 2012 R2 with several Hyper-V VMs on each server.  All devices in our organization run Symantec cloud based Endpoint Protection.  When I am logged into either of the 2 servers, I have no trouble connecting to a VM on the other server.  But when I attempt to connect to either of the 2 servers VMs from Windows 10 Hyper-V, I receive an error message that the "RPC service is unavailable" on the remote computer after it fails to connect to the remote virtual management service.   I checked my group policies and there no issues that I can find.  Am I missing some ports I should open on Symantec Cloud Endpoint Protection?  Any ideas?  Thanks.
    • Moved by BrianEhMVP Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:23 PM
    Saturday, January 23, 2016 5:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Emr88,

>>All devices in our organization run Symantec cloud based Endpoint Protection.

If possible, uninstall or disable the antivirus application and try again. I have seen lots of issues caused by the application.

>>When I am logged into either of the 2 servers, I have no trouble connecting to a VM on the other server.

Do you mean connecting through Hyper-V manager?

Diable the firewalls on Windows 10 and Hyper-V temporarily.

If you have clients running Windows 8.1, disable AV application and try to connect.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, January 25, 2016 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Sunday, February 7, 2016 12:35 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Emr88,

>>All devices in our organization run Symantec cloud based Endpoint Protection.

If possible, uninstall or disable the antivirus application and try again. I have seen lots of issues caused by the application.

>>When I am logged into either of the 2 servers, I have no trouble connecting to a VM on the other server.

Do you mean connecting through Hyper-V manager?

Diable the firewalls on Windows 10 and Hyper-V temporarily.

If you have clients running Windows 8.1, disable AV application and try to connect.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, January 25, 2016 5:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Sunday, February 7, 2016 12:35 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 7:01 AM
  • What version of Windows 10?  Earlier releases had a known problem with remote management of Hyper-V 2012 R2 systems.  Issue the Winver command on your Windows 10 system.  If it is not showing 1511, you need to upgrade to fix the remote management issues.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Yes, I mean connecting through the Hyper-V Manager.  Oddly enough I can connect via RDP.  Since all computers are running Symantec, I don't understand why the servers have no connectivity issue but the Windows 10 workstation is unable to connect.
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Thanks, Windows 10 is 1511.
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Thanks everyone for their help.  This problem has been solved.  I loaded Hyper-V Manager on 3 other Windows 10 machines that had no issues connecting to the servers.  Based on Leo's response, I returned to my original machine and removed Symantec Endpoint Protection.  After the workstation restarted, it connected without issues.  I re-installed Symantec Endpoint Protection, restarted and it still connected via Hyper-V Manager.  It would appear the issue was a corrupt Symantec Endpoint Protection endpoint.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 4:30 AM