Deploying Lync Edge server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

So i'm trying to deploy an edge server into my Lync lab environment and it's nor working.

I've followed this tutorial http://ocsguy.com/2010/11/21/deploying-an-edge-server-with-lync/ but no luck...

Basically my problem is taht external users cannot make call/video with either an internal or another external user. I have the error due to network issue...

here's my lab :

-1 front end server

-1 proxy

-1 edge with 3 public ips natted from fw

flow : internet---FW--Edge--Internal Network

the edge is behind a firewall where i've open all port to the edge server. it's also using nat, so ip on the external nic on edge are private ip.

From internal, i can telnet to waht ever port on edge, same from external.

I ran the Snooper tool to see what's going on and i see taht after pickup the call, there's not activity for 10 secondes then there's a bye signal sent taht terminates the call.

IM is working between external and internal and external to external.

i dont knwo what to do next...

Thanks

• Edited by NetIT12 Friday, June 15, 2012 2:51 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• In Snooper is the error that you are getting something along the lines of Media Call Failed due to one client internal and one external?

The IP addresses on the external NIC of your edge server are they the same subnet as the internal network like in Kevin's example (blog post)?  If they are, make sure that your gateway is set on your external NIC and not on the internal NIC.  Also, make sure that your external NIC comes first in order.  Ideally, the IP address on the External NIC would be different than the internal one.  The problem I've run into when they are both the same is routing gets a little confused.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM

• Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Monday, June 25, 2012 2:51 AM
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Another thing to check is can your PC's that are running the Lync client internally resolve the Edge Server FQDN, I have seen this problem when the client cant talk to the edge server to check the A/V authentication Service (MRAS) and hence the internal client doesnt send the required public candatitie information in the SIP invites etc. 

you say you have telnets to ports, does this include 3478 (which is the MRAS port), from Lync clients as well, not just fromt he FE server?

Cheers

J

• Edited by Jason Harmer Monday, June 18, 2012 5:48 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you have created A record about audio\vedio service in public DNS.

If you use NAT for Edge server external interface, you should NAT IP address and port for every service of edge server. Please have a check.

Please verify if you have opend these ports for Edge server external in the firewall:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425891.aspx 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure that UDP port 3478 is open. And also make sure if you ping AV edge from your edge server, it should resolve to public IP(NAT IP). If not add a entrie in host file on the edge server.

• Proposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:46 PM

All replies

• In Snooper is the error that you are getting something along the lines of Media Call Failed due to one client internal and one external?

The IP addresses on the external NIC of your edge server are they the same subnet as the internal network like in Kevin's example (blog post)?  If they are, make sure that your gateway is set on your external NIC and not on the internal NIC.  Also, make sure that your external NIC comes first in order.  Ideally, the IP address on the External NIC would be different than the internal one.  The problem I've run into when they are both the same is routing gets a little confused.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Brynteson, Avtex, Lync MCM

Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Another thing to check is can your PC's that are running the Lync client internally resolve the Edge Server FQDN, I have seen this problem when the client cant talk to the edge server to check the A/V authentication Service (MRAS) and hence the internal client doesnt send the required public candatitie information in the SIP invites etc. 

you say you have telnets to ports, does this include 3478 (which is the MRAS port), from Lync clients as well, not just fromt he FE server?

Cheers

J

• Edited by Jason Harmer Monday, June 18, 2012 5:48 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure you have created A record about audio\vedio service in public DNS.

If you use NAT for Edge server external interface, you should NAT IP address and port for every service of edge server. Please have a check.

Please verify if you have opend these ports for Edge server external in the firewall:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425891.aspx 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure that UDP port 3478 is open. And also make sure if you ping AV edge from your edge server, it should resolve to public IP(NAT IP). If not add a entrie in host file on the edge server.

• Proposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Giri SK Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:46 PM
  • Thanks guys for all your comment, the issue was taht i could not resolve dns to my edge lync since my lab in a completely separate domain than the one in production.
    This thing would not have happened if i was on the same domain :)

Thanks a lot!
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:30 PM