Unable to connect to replica WSUS via MMC - Windows Server 2012 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed 2 (soon to be 3) new WSUS servers.  this is their only purpose.  First one is a master and the subsequent 2 are to be replica's.  The first replica that i configured is working, getting the groups and updates from the master, but when i am on the master, with the WSUS admin console open, if i try to add the replica there i get an error message connecting to it saying "Make sure that the post install scripts are done" etc etc..which they do appear to be.  If i open the WSUS admin console on the replica in question, it connects no problem to itself and also to the master.  I have confirmed tcp/8530 bi-directionally. 

Update Services: version 6.2.9200.1638 (if that is of any help).

looking for more insight here.  I previously deployed a test environment in the same fashion and had no issues.  only difference really was that the testing environment was all on the same subnet and no firewalls...but i *think* i have ruled out the firewalls here.

-m

• Edited by marguin433 Wednesday, November 23, 2016 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi marguin,

>but when i am on the master, with the WSUS admin console open, if i try to add the replica there i get an error message connecting to it saying "Make sure that the post install scripts are done" etc etc..which they do appear to be

Seems like network connection issue. Could you use IP address of the downstream server to connect, please check if you can nslookup the downstream WSUS server's name on the upstream server.

Also turn off the firewall temporarily to test if the issue is related with firewall.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply Anne,

The other testing that i did was ping, telnet on port 8530 already, so that should rule out both network config as well as DNS i believe.  As for the firewall(s) the firewall appliances again i *think* are ruled out by the above tests and the windows firewalls are disabled for both public and private as part of my server builds, i will however verify that again.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:05 PM
  • Hi marguin,

Have you got any progress with your issue?

As an attempt, check if run Server Cleanup Wizard on both WSUS server could work.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:54 AM