steadystate login? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed steadystate but am unable to login as administrator.

I set all the security but it works TOO WELL.

I can't login as administrator.

The system is set to autologon in to a common user account but

I am unable to login to the admin account.

Should I have created an admin account under steadystate?

Is there a way to recover besides reinstalling windows?

Can I remove steadystate?

Any help would be appreciated

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 5:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState disables user accounts in these circumstances:

1. The system is currently running updates.  Users will be automatically re-enabled after updates are complete.  The system shows a message to indicate that it's currently running updates, so it should be obvious if this is happening.
    2. The system is currently uninstalling Windows Disk Protection.  This operation requires multiple reboots, and users are disabled during the intermediate reboots.  The system automatically reboots after the intermediate tasks are completed, so the system should not be in this mode for any appreciable amount of time.
    3. The system detects an error that prevents Windows Disk Protection from operating.  In this case, the disk will not be protected, so all accounts other than the administrator are disabled in order to prevent restricted users from accessing the disk. 

I would guess that #3 is the most likely candidate for your situation.  You should be able to log in using the default "Administrator" account.  SteadyState does not disable this Administrator account itself, though it is possible that the account was already disabled in XP.  If this is the case, you can reboot the machine and press F8 during startup to get the Safe Mode boot screen.  Select the option to boot into Safe Mode, then log in as Administrator and make sure that the Administrator account is not flagged as disabled in the XP user manager.  Once the Administrator account is reenabled, you should be able to reboot normally (don't go into Safe Mode this time), then log in as Administrator.  If #3 was indeed the case, SteadyState should start automatically and tell you that it detected corruption of the cache file and offer to either repair the cache file or uninstall Windows Disk Protection.  Whichever option you choose will require a reboot.  After the system restarts and WDP is either uninstalled or repaired, SteadyState will reenable your regular user accounts and you should be able to log in normally.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:28 PM

All replies

•  

"Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator"

message is displayed when I attempt to login.

What gives?

I can't login and don't really want to reinstall xp.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

SteadyState disables user accounts in these circumstances:

1. The system is currently running updates.  Users will be automatically re-enabled after updates are complete.  The system shows a message to indicate that it's currently running updates, so it should be obvious if this is happening.
    2. The system is currently uninstalling Windows Disk Protection.  This operation requires multiple reboots, and users are disabled during the intermediate reboots.  The system automatically reboots after the intermediate tasks are completed, so the system should not be in this mode for any appreciable amount of time.
    3. The system detects an error that prevents Windows Disk Protection from operating.  In this case, the disk will not be protected, so all accounts other than the administrator are disabled in order to prevent restricted users from accessing the disk. 

I would guess that #3 is the most likely candidate for your situation.  You should be able to log in using the default "Administrator" account.  SteadyState does not disable this Administrator account itself, though it is possible that the account was already disabled in XP.  If this is the case, you can reboot the machine and press F8 during startup to get the Safe Mode boot screen.  Select the option to boot into Safe Mode, then log in as Administrator and make sure that the Administrator account is not flagged as disabled in the XP user manager.  Once the Administrator account is reenabled, you should be able to reboot normally (don't go into Safe Mode this time), then log in as Administrator.  If #3 was indeed the case, SteadyState should start automatically and tell you that it detected corruption of the cache file and offer to either repair the cache file or uninstall Windows Disk Protection.  Whichever option you choose will require a reboot.  After the system restarts and WDP is either uninstalled or repaired, SteadyState will reenable your regular user accounts and you should be able to log in normally.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:28 PM
  • I have the #1 problem and my question is:  how long should these updates take to complete?  Hours???  The machine just sits there with that message.  And it is sort of scary that even booting up in safe mode and logging in on the administrator account, I get this same message within a SteadyState dialog box that "Account has been disabled.  Please see your system administrator."  Tough luck for me, I AM the system administrator, eh?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Hi  JCLS-BB

I understand that the inconvenience you have encountered. Depending on the updates being installed, the update process can sometimes take a long time. During the update process, the system downloads all the updates from the server, then SteadyState will modify the status of Windows Disk Protection (WDP) to save all the changes to the hard drive. Therefore, it will take a longer time than normal update.

Under Safe Mode, please check if we can log in with the built-in Administrator account. ( Password is blank by default unless you have set it during the installation of the system)

If we can enter the system, we can check the latest Event Logs to verify if problem was encountered during the update.

--------------------------

1. Click Start and choose Run. Then input "eventvwr" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Please check if there are related messages under Application and System parts.

If error messages are found, please post them out and we can discuss them together.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Shawn,

The errors I see in the event log are either:

The Windows SteadyState Service hung on starting 

OR

ati2mtag, event 44044.

However, since I did manage to get into Safe Mode, I uninstalled SteadyState, and created a new user account.  Then rebooted in normal mode and used that newly created user to go into computer management where all my other accounts had been disabled.  I enabled the administrator account at that point. 

I've considered installing SCT but I know our library director would really like the session timer on SS, so I think I am going to try to install it again.  Should I delete all my previously set up SS users before reinstalling?

Thanks.

JCLS-BB

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:14 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

Thank you for your update on this issue.

To avoid conflicts and provide a clean environment, I recommend we delete the original user accounts with the following steps:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in CMD and click OK.

3. Type in “net user” to view the existing users.

4. Type in “net user <user name> /delete” to delete a user account.

After that, we can install SteadyState and create new users from it. If other issue is encountered, you can also submit a new post to avoid confusion.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:17 AM
  • Thanks, Shawn,

I did manage to create a new administrator account which then let me in to computer management and from there I could enable all my users.  I reset all the permissions in WSS and was able to get it working but because I cannot bypass the filter and because many websites use Flash, ActiveX, etc., which WSS treats as nonpermittable pop-ups, I still find this to be a hard to use product.  I'm hoping more work will perhaps yield some more workarounds.  In the meantime, I have gone back to using the previous Security software.  At least I know it does what I want it to do and I have already found workarounds.  I'm working under a pretty severe deadline for getting 6 new computers set up in the next few days and because I have to do everything quite manually, I've already wasted way too much time trying to get this new WSS to work. 

JCLS-BB

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that when using SteadyState, some websites using flash, ActiveX, etc. cannot be displayed properly.

Based on my experience, only administrators have the privilege to install flash player and ActiveX Controls. Restricted users can use the installed components. Thus, please make sure the required components have been installed from an administrator account. We can test from an administrator account before restricting or locking other user accounts.

If this issue only occurs on a restricted user account, please uncheck the “Third Party Extension Buttons” restriction option. Based on my test, some websites need permission to access this option so as to run Add-ons.
    ------------------------------------
    1. Start SteadyState.
    2. Click the user account and select Feature Restrictions.
    3. Under Internet Explorer Restrictions, choose Toolbar Options, and make sure “Third Party Extension Buttons” is not selected.

As SteadyState provides many new features which are unavailable in the SCT, if possible, we still suggest using the new version. If you need any further assistance, please post in the forum. We can analyze the issue together.

Best Regards,

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:22 AM
  • That's the problem.  I already have not selected that button but the user is still unable to access the page properly.  If the "Third Party Extension Button" is not selected, it allows the user to see the buttons and see that they are disabled.  Everything is grayed out.  The restricted user cannot allow the action.  So anything being required will not work.  Since many users are trying to go to school sites, etc., that require being able to use ActiveX, flash, etc., this program will not work.

JCLS-BB
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:01 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

Could you provide some problematic website samples? Thus, I can test them and narrow down the root cause of this issue on my computer. Please also let me know the Internet Explorer version you are using (IE6 or IE7) so I can test with the same version.

To check whether the issue is caused by SteadyState restrictions, you can configure a new user profile and set as No Restrictions. If the issue doesn’t occur, we can raise the restriction level (No Restriction -> Low Restriction -> Middle Restriction -> High Restriction) to test.

Based on my experience, some security programs can also restrict IE add-ons. If you have security programs such as antivirus program installed, please also temporarily disable them for the test.

Best Regards,
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 5:03 AM
  •  nmorin wrote:

"Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator"

message is displayed when I attempt to login.

What gives?

I can't login and don't really want to reinstall xp.

Hi,

I am also getting the above message....

I have windows xp home as OS, and only one system. I installed windows steady state with user raghav, which has admin rights. I enabled windows disk protection, when my sytem restarted i got a blue screen error message...I have reset my system to last known good configuration, but i am still unable to login......i have boot my system in safe mode and then created another user with admin rights...i have uninstalled windows steadystate from add remove programs, but still i am not able to login, It is a stand alone laptop.

Pls help!!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:37 AM
  • Hi Raghav,

Does this issue also occur on the newly created account?

This issue can occur if your user account has been disabled when the blue screen occurs. We can try the following steps to enable it:

--------------------

1. Enter Safe Mode. (If the newly created admin user can be used, you can also perform these steps under Normal Mode)

2. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

3. Click Start and then Run. Type in cmd and then press Enter.

4. Type in the following command and press Enter:

Net user raghav  /active:yes

If the command is run successfully, message “The command completed successfully” will be received.

5. Enable other accounts (if there are) with this method. (Example: If another account names Test, we can run command: Net user test /active:yes to enable it) 

6. Check this issue again.

Regards,

Monday, December 17, 2007 2:20 AM
  • Thanks for the info!!. I will try it once i reach at home. Yesterday another thing i noticed was that my Windows update option is greyed out. I cannot enable it.

Please help on this concern also.

Thanks

Deepak

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:38 AM
  • Hi Raghav,

You can refer to the following thread first:

Updates will not work! HELP!!!!

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2240436&SiteID=69

If the issue continues, you can also create a new thread to continue, as this issue can be caused by different factors. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:32 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the resolution regarding, users blocked, I have unblocked all the users...

Thanks again, It is a very useful forum which microsoft has developed, one gets precise solution.

Really appreciate the efforts of Shawn and Microsoft.

I will jump to another thread regarding my update concern.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Hi..um having a prob in logging in to admin accnt.
    the prob is dat i can change da password od the admin accnt  using CMD...but when i try to login as Admin it says i  cannot login cox of some account restrictions. i use windoz xp home editiom.
    pls help me out.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:17 PM