Server shows Offline even if connected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a freshly installed Server 2012 Essentials and a few clients "updated from WHS 2011" and they show the server always as offline and Backups also do not work, but I can access the server (shares e.g.) via IP and name without a problem.

1. Client: Windows 8 Pro - freshly installed and "works most of the time" (some days I need to restart the PC or at least the "Windows Server *" services)

2. Client: Windows 7 Pro - does NOT work at all: See https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0l7o0p4ph4mzcbj/2g_Q0-S8uH for all Logs

3. Client: Windows 7 Home Premium - seems to work

4. Client: Windows 7 Pro - did work one, but since then never

What can I do to get Client Backup working on all machines without problems?

regards

Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

• When you run the Server 2012 Essentials 2012 from the (Dashboard | Devices | <Server> Tasks | Best Practices Analyzer) and the Health Report Add-in, do you have any errors?

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, February 25, 2013 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:25 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please check whether you have configured Direct Access. As far as I know, client computers will show offline in the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Dashboard if the port number 6602 is being grabbed by Direct Access. Windows Server 2012 Essentials provider framework requires this port to show the machine status on the Dashboard. You may run the following PowerShell command to check the existing port numbers in use:

Get-NetNatTransitionConfiguration

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, February 25, 2013 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:26 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:04 AM

All replies

• Have you tried:

Uninstall the WS2012 Connector on the workstation
    Reboot
    Reinstall the Connector

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Yes, several times and it did not help.
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:11 PM
  • If you disable IPV6 in the TCP/IP properties of the workstation, then reboot, does the server status return to 'online'?

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Other possible problems:

3rd party firewall software
    Antivirus software
    Check 'hosts' file for correct information  (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)
    Malware on workstation

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Tried all of that:

• disabled and enabled IPv6 (incl. reboots)
    • disabled Firewall (on the client)
    • disabled Antivirus
    • "clean" hosts file and manual entry for/to the server

Nothing helped.

regards

P.S.: The Win8 client seems to work fine now - incl. active FW, MSE and IPv6...

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:28 AM
  • When you run the Server 2012 Essentials 2012 from the (Dashboard | Devices | <Server> Tasks | Best Practices Analyzer) and the Health Report Add-in, do you have any errors?

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, February 25, 2013 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:25 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

Please check whether you have configured Direct Access. As far as I know, client computers will show offline in the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Dashboard if the port number 6602 is being grabbed by Direct Access. Windows Server 2012 Essentials provider framework requires this port to show the machine status on the Dashboard. You may run the following PowerShell command to check the existing port numbers in use:

Get-NetNatTransitionConfiguration

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, February 25, 2013 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:26 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:04 AM
  • I have the same issue. 

All of my system have an established connection to the server via TCP port 6602:

TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.71:51745    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.72:49276    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.73:55030    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.74:57116    ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.171:49187   ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.25:25234     ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.63:50090     ESTABLISHED
      TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.125:54237    ESTABLISHED

I noticed that this started just after I installed the patch from KB2781267, which makes a fair amount of updates to the Dashboard.

It appears to me that the clients are all connected, but that the Essentials Server just isn't processing them.  So it looks to me like the update broke something on the server side monitoring/communication.  Or could there be a need for a client side update too?

I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall all of the machines...that is silly.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:28 PM
  • I just like to mention that I have experienced exactly the same problem for a long time. Due to limited time/resources to spend time on this, I have no given up after trying all suggested solutions found on the web. I'm right now just waiting for a solution, so thanks for raising the topic again. If someone really found a solution to this, it would be great to know. My problem is with a Win 8 client computer. The others Win 8 client computers works just fine.
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Hey Hans, you running Direct access by any chance?  There isn't one size fits all solution.  Can you open a new thread and we'll take it from there?
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Date, time and time zone on both server and clients are matching? (Default server installation often points to Pacific time, and if you adjust the clock to visually match, it drifts away by the difference of your time zone to that one.) Since there are only domain joinable systems affected, and authentication uses a time stamp as part communication encryption, this could be a reason.

Is there any security suite installed on the PCs, which may have side effects?

What is the output of ipconfig /all on one of the affected clients and the server?

Or you are running into the certificate issue mentioned in the answer of this thread?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:58 AM
  • We are having the same issues, It appears that Direct access was configured at installation and was being utilized for some time prior to the loss of connectivity. In our case it is all Windows 7 Workstations tat are domain joined. None of the Windows  Workstations have issues, Have you found anything else out in your endevors? we will be looking deeper this weekend at routine maintenence.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:41 AM