Is it possible to activate offline Windows 10 LTSB using an OEM license? RRS feed

• Question

• I will be producing hundreds of computers with LTSB using an OEM license. from my tests it seems that internet connectivity is required to activate an OEM license. Is this true?

Furthermore, I will be using a sysprep'd image that is already activated. However, once we deploy the image Windows requires internet once again to re-activate. The answer file contains the correct key, but still needs internet.

Quite frustrating since this was not the case with Windows 7 Embedded. 

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

We can try the phone activation.

Run the command: Slui.exe 4 and it will show the wizard to activate by phone.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:30 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but does this mean I will need to phone activate for each computer? If yes this is not feasible. 

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:50 PM
  • still didn't find a solution....looks like the answer is no
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:39 PM
  • still didn't find a solution....looks like the answer is no

Hi Paul, 

I have to say that the answer is no. 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Is it really needed to activate?

According to this slide deck page 13:

http://www.embeddedcomputingconference.ch/pdf_2015/S3R6_Avnet_Silica.pdf

It does not seem necessary. I removed the KMS product keys/ids with slmgr and it does not complain anymore that its not activated. (however status in System Info still shows not activated)

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:03 PM
  • It certainly will matter, just wait until you go into Notification mode. It can take 30 days to get to that. Also, it is a license violation to run an OS with no product key in it in a corporate environment. You can get fined for doing so. Doing it for testing (with the 30 day grace period) is ok.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:32 PM