none
Free upgrade to Windows 10 still?

Question

• Hi guys,

got a couple of PCs laying around the office with Windows 7. They're running 7 pro and I don't believe they've ever had Win 10 on them. We figured we'd upgrade to 10, then the computers that come back failing activation, we'd go and buy a license for. I'm stumped. When the setup starts, it asks for a key, we click the text that says reinstall Windows 10. It goes through without a key, upgrades, keeps all the settings then when we look in system settings, it says it's activated with a digital license. We can see it uses the standard upgrade product key ending in 3V66T...This doesn't seem normal to me and it's got me scratching my head.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes. Somehow we can still get free upgrade from Win 7 or Win8/8.1 to Windows 10.

What you experienced is not a fluke.

Read this article :

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

• Edited by david hk129 Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Louds Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:02 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:53 AM
  •   Windows 10 is different. If it says it has a digital license you do not need to worry about a product key ever again. The activation details are stored "in the cloud" and the OS will activate any time you reinstall it on that device.

Bill

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Ah, I hadn't read that article. Read plenty about the accessibility upgrade though. Very weird. I'm assuming a clean install would be a no go though. Do you think it's true about the activation servers? 

Ps. we've now upgraded around 7 machines that are well and truly pre windows 10, and they've all upgraded free...

Thanks.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:02 AM
  • Ah, I hadn't read that article. Read plenty about the accessibility upgrade though. Very weird. I'm assuming a clean install would be a no go though. Do you think it's true about the activation servers? 

Ps. we've now upgraded around 7 machines that are well and truly pre windows 10, and they've all upgraded free...

Thanks.

Just to make sure you are fully aware of how Windows 10 works regarding "product key".

Once you have Windows 10 installed AND activated, you have what MS called "digital license". That digital license is saved on the server.

Digital license allows you to install the SAME Windows 10 Edition into the SAME computer as often as you want, and anytime you want. The digital license is good for life, on that particular computer.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic because the server will recognize your digital license and activate it accordingly.

Yes, you can do a Clean Install on an already activated Windows 10.

When you do a clean install over an existing activated Windows 10, you will be asked for a product key.
    Select either the SKIP option or the "I do not have a product key" option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic when installation is completed.

• Edited by david hk129 Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:14 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:10 AM