Windows Audio Service and Realtek HD Audio RRS feed

• Question

• I found the reason why I was getting a BSOD. If I disable both Windows Audio Services:
        Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    Vista doesn't crash when I try to start the Photo Screensaver.

Not sure if it's a conflict with the audio and the video for some reason or something to do with the screen saver or photo slide show option. If I have the Windows Audio services running and I start a slide show of photo's I have Vista will go to the BSOD and reboot. This happens with a fresh installation of Vista with no drivers or Internet connection(Ethernet drivers not installed) or with all the drivers installed. Updated from MS and the manufacturers site(Vista Beta drivers)

I'm running an Asus P5L-VM 1394 with an XFX 7600 GT PCI-E

I have a dual partition with XP and XP is flawless on anything I throw at it so this is definitely a Vista issue.

I just had my company I work for sign up for a MSDN Technet Subscription and I got the RC2 5744. Same thing as with RC1 5600!

Obviously I'd like the audio features! I'm going to look into the BIOS to see if there are any settings in there in regards to the audio features of the system to see if that is causing the conflict but MS should be aware of this issue and it's not a failed hardware component like the report it comes back with says

Gary

Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:39 AM

All replies

• Changed the audio option in the BIOS for the front panel audio from HD to AC97.
    I started the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
    No crash.
    Started the Windows Audio Service....CRASH!
    Disabled the onboard audio alltogether. No crash.

Gary
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 4:49 AM
  • If anyone actually cares, the ACPI 2.0 on the motherboard needed to be turned on! With this Asus board there's ACPI and ACPI 2.0.

The 2.0 was not turned on. Now that it is I don't crash anymore!

Thanks for all your non posts in helping me out. I'm glad there are forums like this for people to be completely ignored.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 1:57 AM
  • I have this same problem, msdn final release of Vista, Toshiba Satellite laptop w/ HD audio, spec sheet on bios shows 1.0b of ACPI... Downloaded realtek's latest vista-compatible drivers and these do not help... every app that makes a noise still crashes. Disabled sound for Vista to work. HELP!

The bios manager on this thing is useless, only lets me set time, boot device order, and a few other useless interfaces. No ability to set power or other bios related settings.

Vista is not ready for primetime for anyone with HD audio IMO.

Monday, November 20, 2006 10:44 PM
  • I have a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop with an HD audio on it and it works just fine. Even with the Sigmatel drivers installed it works just fine and no crashing. It may be certain HD audio interfaces that are not quite ready for prime time. I think it may be beneficial to contact the audio manufacturers to see if they know of any issues so far with the Vista Audio implementation.

I am still having this issue on my desktop system at home though
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:22 PM
  • Just an update. Toshiba FINALLY now has bios updates on their support site to fix the audio issues. I just upgraded to vista again on the laptop. So far drivers have not caused a major issue.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 4:57 AM
  •  Opus2k wrote:
    I found the reason why I was getting a BSOD. If I disable both Windows Audio Services:
        Windows Audio and Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    Vista doesn't crash when I try to start the Photo Screensaver.

Not sure if it's a conflict with the audio and the video for some reason or something to do with the screen saver or photo slide show option. If I have the Windows Audio services running and I start a slide show of photo's I have Vista will go to the BSOD and reboot. This happens with a fresh installation of Vista with no drivers or Internet connection(Ethernet drivers not installed) or with all the drivers installed. Updated from MS and the manufacturers site(Vista Beta drivers)

I'm running an Asus P5L-VM 1394 with an XFX 7600 GT PCI-E

I have a dual partition with XP and XP is flawless on anything I throw at it so this is definitely a Vista issue.

I just had my company I work for sign up for a MSDN Technet Subscription and I got the RC2 5744. Same thing as with RC1 5600!

Obviously I'd like the audio features! I'm going to look into the BIOS to see if there are any settings in there in regards to the audio features of the system to see if that is causing the conflict but MS should be aware of this issue and it's not a failed hardware component like the report it comes back with says

Gary

Saturday, April 14, 2007 2:04 PM