none
help - Field cannot be saved RRS feed

• Question

• customized the fields. After clicking OK, the added fields disappeared after opening.help me

next open

The field is gone

• Edited by 尹聪 Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:45 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:18 AM

All replies

• Custom fields are persisted in the registry under the user profile key

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Winternals\BGInfo\UserFields

So, if you are not using the same user, you may not see the previously created custom fields..

I'm running version 4.28 and it looks like it is working.. I always run it as administrator, but shouldn't this be a problem as the registry key used is the one of the logged on user

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 10:11 AM
  • registry have profile key

open again key gone

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:55 PM
  • What version are you running??

Did you try 4.28?

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:00 PM
  • My version 4.28
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:22 AM
  • try looking with procmon who deletes the entry..

Start Procmon, put a filter on the registry key, "Path contains Winternals\BGInfo\UserFields"

Start BGINFO, create your custom fields.. exit bginfo and start it again..

If the registry keys are there and you see bginfo accessing them, it should work. if you see something else delete them, that's your culprit..

HTH
    -mario

Thursday, July 2, 2020 8:52 AM
  • 3q,The current problem is still,

Friday, July 3, 2020 3:44 AM
  • If I set the filter I suggested to you i can see activity from both BGINFO and BGINFO64.. I never seen a process called ADComputer.exe like in your csae..

I was expecting to see something like this when I asked you to run bginfo and create a custom field.

Try again please, and share the procmon log.

1) Start Procmon

2) Set the filter "Path contains Winternals\BGInfo\UserFields" and remove the exclusion on the System process:

3) Start BGINFO or BGINFO64 and create a custom field.

4) Exit BGINFO

5) Wait some time.

6) Start BGINFO again and let's see if we can found the newly created field.

7) Exit BGINFO

8) SAVE procmon log and share it.

HTH
    -mario

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:02 AM
  • I have the exact same problem running version 4.28. I can add multiple custom field entries and add them to my list. The Apply-button do update the data on screen correctly. But if I close the Bginfo.exe-application, reopen it and run apply the custom fields are no longer populated with values, just the name of the custom field. Also using process monitor and regedit I can see that when I create new custom entries and click apply they show up in regedit in the UserFields section. As an example I now have 2 entrie. However when I start bginfo.exe again the following its reg key reads (filtering on UserFields). I see the following:

Clicking on the "Custom..."-button does not result in any more reads and the User Defined Fields-dialog is empty. If I create new fields here now and press OK and then Apply the old custom field reg key entries are removed and new ones gets created.

So it feels like there are two problems:

1) Custom field reg keys are not read correctly when opening "User Defined Fields"-dialog rendering in an empty list that when later saved overwrites what was there.

2) Custom field reg keys are not read correctly when starting bginfo.exe which makes the custom fields not populated with data just the name of the custom field tag.

Friday, July 3, 2020 10:58 AM
  • Can you please share a procmon log after you have performed these steps:

1) Start Procmon
    2) Set the filter "Path contains Winternals\BGInfo\UserFields" and remove the exclusion on the System process:
    3) Start BGINFO or BGINFO64 and create a custom field.
    4) Exit BGINFO
    5) Wait some time.
    6) Start BGINFO again and let's see if we can found the newly created field.
    7) Exit BGINFO
    8) SAVE procmon log and share it.

May be it's the type of custom field that have some problems..

To avoid any problem lately I run a script that create a file with all the info I need, then I load that file as custom field and in my case it works always.. maybe the WMI custom field has some trouble I remember to be able to use also the vbs custom field successfully..

Please, share a step by step list of action to reproduce the problem.

Thanks
    -mario

Friday, July 3, 2020 12:24 PM
  • Waiting to get my account verified to be able to add images. As soon as that is complete I will reply with it all. I already have the screenshots and the text ready.
    Friday, July 3, 2020 1:44 PM
  • Thanks!

-mario

Friday, July 3, 2020 3:29 PM
  • Absolutely:
    1.    Launch of Bginfo64.exe results in:

2. Press ”Custom…” and create 2 items:

No updates to registry keys here.

3) Add the 2 new fields to the configuration and press Apply. Data of the custom fields are correct now on the background. The regkeys are created correctly.

4) Press Okay to close. No updates to registry keys.

5) Looking in registry shows the 2 items:

6) Clear proc mon log and start Bginfo64.exe again:

7) Press Apply (directly, no change to nothing): Data of the custom fields are now incorrect on the background. No access at all from the registry keys:

8) Press “Custom…”-button: No access at all from the registry keys and dialog is empty:

Hope it helps to identify the problem, let me know if you need more information.

• Edited by markusm_ Saturday, July 4, 2020 10:16 AM
    Saturday, July 4, 2020 10:12 AM
  • Can you provide the email address?  I send you XML
    Monday, July 6, 2020 3:32 AM
  • Can't repro..

I created two custom fields and tested them.

When i exit bginfo, it asks me this:

I answer yes, and at the next run, i get back all the custom fields.

I can apply and start again and again, try the preview etc once I saved the new default settings I get them every time..

There are a couple of registry key related to Sysinternals tools:

HKLM\Software\Sysinternals

HKCU\Software\Winternals\BGInfo

Try cleaning them completely and let's see what happens..

HTH
    -mario

Monday, July 6, 2020 11:15 PM
  • Thanks Mario, will try and get back here with the results. 

BR,
    Markus

Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:35 AM