Windows Installer Service could not be accessed RRS feed

• Question

• I see this question has been asked a few times already but without any real solution and the threads seemingly petering out.

I am unable to install windows updates, updates to Adobe, updates to AVG and also unable to install HP Support Assistant (error 1601) and other programs (eg .msi)

I get the error message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed"

I have tried many fixes suggested on this forum and many other forums also, including the Windows Standalone Installer service update.

I have also tried the many "automatic" fixes (FixIt, Windows Update,) without any success.

I am using W7 Home Premium 64bit

Thanks for any help!

Graham

Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• I suggest you temporarily disable AVG and check the result.

If the issue still occurs, try the steps in the following article

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353

The steps are also applied in Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 8, 2011 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi again Arthur, and anyone else reading, in particular people with the same problem!

I have given in and burned and built windows7. I hate having to start from scratch. I guess I should do more regular back ups!

I did find a virus. I only found it on a memory stick (when I plugged it into someone else's laptop) but it's one I use regularly and I must have infected my laptop. It has a name of 09LF.exe and comes with an autorun.inf All nicely hidden, of course. 

I don't know whether it is realted or not. It just seems to be a strange coincidence.

I truly hope this helps... but I doubt it!

Best wishes to all,

Graham

• Marked as answer by GTGTGTGTGT Friday, July 22, 2011 10:49 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:12 AM

All replies

• I suggest you temporarily disable AVG and check the result.

If the issue still occurs, try the steps in the following article

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353

The steps are also applied in Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, July 8, 2011 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried your suggestion but still no luck.

I guess I'm looking at reinstalling Windows7 :-(

Oh well.....

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi again Arthur, and anyone else reading, in particular people with the same problem!

I have given in and burned and built windows7. I hate having to start from scratch. I guess I should do more regular back ups!

I did find a virus. I only found it on a memory stick (when I plugged it into someone else's laptop) but it's one I use regularly and I must have infected my laptop. It has a name of 09LF.exe and comes with an autorun.inf All nicely hidden, of course. 

I don't know whether it is realted or not. It just seems to be a strange coincidence.

I truly hope this helps... but I doubt it!

Best wishes to all,

Graham

• Marked as answer by GTGTGTGTGT Friday, July 22, 2011 10:49 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Have you tried re-installing the windows installer service?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8483

Dave
    Monday, July 18, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link, but as I said, I've reinstalled the OS.

I'm on Windows 7 and I believe it uses installer version 5.0something which isn't available as a redistributable.

Best regards,

Graham

Friday, July 22, 2011 10:48 AM
  • I have just fixed this problem after my iTunes and Quicktime were corrupted by an iTunes update. I am using Windows 7 professional 64bit.

The "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" error showed up when I tried to uninstall iTunes.

I came across this tool (Fixit) on the Microsoft Support site - > http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

When you run it, you are asked which program you are trying to install/uninstall. It checks the registry entry and repairs any problems.

It reported my iTunes problems as repaired OK and then uninstalled it. It fixed my uninstall problems with Quicktime as well.

I have reinstalled iTunes and everything is OK.

Good luck, Daryl.

• Proposed as answer by dpbishop Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:37 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:56 PM
  • i know your problem has been fixed but i would refer to this security buliten just to be safe.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS11-071

There is no reason for that to happen to a safe system so i would suggest using this buliten's steps to atleast check if you have the issue on  your computer to prevent future data loss or issues

:)

• Proposed as answer by Gambosa Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:52 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:52 AM
  • I'm not sure this applies in Win7 but I had this a while back and tried many solutions.  What fixed it was making sure the DCOM and RPC services were running.  Hope this helps.

Deep

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:37 PM