No "Auto-arrange" option in context menu RRS feed

• Question

• The auto-arrange feature in the Sort context menu for a folder with images is missing.
    Some friends told me they have it with Windows 7 RC.

It seems on some PCs it is, in others don't. Why ?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:38 PM

Answers

• The auto-arrange feature is used by default in Windows 7 and cannot be turned off.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:41 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• The auto-arrange feature is used by default in Windows 7 and cannot be turned off.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:41 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Since I HATE the fact that you can't turn off the sort feature and arrange icons as you want, I would consider this "de fault" :-)

MacAndrew
    Friday, June 12, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Since I HATE the fact that you can't turn off the sort feature and arrange icons as you want, I would consider this "de fault" :-)

MacAndrew
    I agree, it's a massive oversight as far as I'm concerned; I love W7 but for me the auto-arrange is the deal breaker - if I can't disable it in Windows Explorer and put folders where I want then I'm sticking with XP.
    I've tried third party alternatives to Windows Explorer and the auto arrange is turned on on all the ones I've tried and can't be turned off.
    Given the option has been there to turn it off in every version of Windows to date, surely it isn't difficult to make the option available in 7.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:56 AM
  • I said it before, and I will say it again. This not being in Windows 7 keeps me from upgradeing from Windows XP.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:24 AM
  • You know whats funny, the folks at MS seem to have thought of every conceivable way to arrange files and folders in the view/sort tab including:

assistants phone, bcc addresses, beats per minute, broadcast date, car phone, closed captioning, company main phone, conductors, contributing artists, data rate, discovery method, exif version, exposure bias, flag color, height, hobbies, horizontal resolution, is recurring, light source, metering mode, middle name, mileage, mood, nickname, optional attendees, optional attendees addresses, pager, paired, parental rating reason, perceived type, required attendees address, SAP, snippets, station call name, TTY/TTD phone....  as well as others too many to list.

So it seems that MS has given priority to even the most far fetched, unlikely ways to arrange files/folders... but deemed that 'manual arrange' or non arranged was not a worthy enough choice for users, despite it being used in every Windows iteration since last century and where many thousands of users have gotten used to and would prefer and even say its a deal breaker without.

If this was a deliberate omission, the MS person(s) responsible for this must qualify for the title of the stoopidest person(s) in recorded history. Sorry to put it that way, but thats just the way it is. If it was an oversight, well OK, mistakes can be made. But correct it damn it!
    • Edited by amuzeini Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:06 AM
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:04 AM
  • The feature was removed to improve performance becouse  explorer constantly crashed and hung in vista while manually arranging icons especially in large folders even with state of the art hardware.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:59 AM
  • I used Vista for a long time and never saw Windows Explorer crash once (can't say the same about 7, sadly).
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Lucky for you becouse every time I tried to sort icons to my liking explorer would freeze to death and there were so many complaints and posts but there was no way to fix it in WIM explorer. Why would I make this up?

Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:07 AM
  • After doing some research and asking places and people that have a running copy of Windows 7 RTM, I learned that this feature is NOT in the final version of Windows 7.

Unfortunately, in light of this feature not being there I will NOT be getting Windows7.

I use it quite a bit, and the fact that it's been included in Windows operating systems since 1995 with Windows 95 (a total of 9 years), MS can't expect people to simply accept being forced into something that one has become accustomed to.

If someone who works at Microsoft is reading this, know that should this feature be put back into Windows, I will happily run out and get a copy of Windows7.

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:06 PM
  • What a HUGE mistake by Microsoft... unbelievable!!

The first thing that I have always done since windows 95 is to arrange items in folders, exactly where i want them to be, exactly where I can easiest find them, and now
    they have taken this simple but essential feature away?????. very very sad indeed...
    I have an old bookcase at home, all my books are arranged just as I want them to be, for example, I use my reference books the most so I have placed them on the
    shelf that is the easiest to reach.... where I know they will stay..  now what if I decided to replace the bookcase with a new one, and every time I tried to place a book
    where I wanted it to be.... it just slid along the shelf to a different place, or jumped down a couple of shelves... lol.. I would either smash it up and burn it, or take it back
    to the shop (probably the former) This is the laughable scenario with Windows 7.... it may look very pretty and be fun to play with but when it comes  to serious stuff I
    think it is sadly lacking somewhat..

I read an article recently, titled.. The Operating System that will not Die, you guessed it...Windows XP..... and who's fault is that?
    Sometimes I wonder if that is what Microsoft want!!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:17 PM
  • I totally agree that this is a HUGE mistake by Microsoft. We need the ability to turn off the Auto-Arrange feature so we can move files around within our folders in a Free-Style fashion.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Hi O'Shaunessy, if you're still around, can you tell me about the third party alternatives you tried? I'm about to go back to XP because of this problem, but I'd rather keep win7 and find a workaround. have you found any software that will let you manipulate the files and move them manually?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Hi O'Shaunessy, if you're still around, can you tell me about the third party alternatives you tried? I'm about to go back to XP because of this problem, but I'd rather keep win7 and find a workaround. have you found any software that will let you manipulate the files and move them manually?

I realise you are looking for a workaround, but in reality this should not be considered an option.
    The option to arrange icons in whatever fashion the user wants has been available in Windows since 1995, in Windows 95. Something that has been around and part of all operating systems for the past nine years should not be considered a luxury, it should be standard.
    In addition, any alternative ends up using more system resources, as well as the possibility of instability. That all depends on the alternative and how it installs and runs, but it's still a possibility.

Honestly, I have had a number of people NOT upgrade to Windows 7 because of this, and I just told them I would let them know when/if this put into Windows 7.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:25 AM
  • This is a huge problem for me.  I've been working with files for the same way for 10 years, now I can't put an icon where I want?  How is this simplified?   

Please MS, this is ridiculous.  Restore this basic fuctionality.  

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Yeah, I'm one of those people who will not be upgrading to Windows 7 until I see that they've fixed this problem.  And I've warned all my friends and relatives about this ANNOYING oversight.

I mean, come on!  What imbecile at Microsoft thought that no one would notice this?!

Unbelievable.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:27 AM
  • I'm dumbfounded that there is no way to arrange icons with the pointer.
    Seasons greetings!
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I've been using  picasa for when I need to work with pictures, which is when I desperately need to rearrange manually. it works just finne, and I can use it to change the filenames as soon as i have the order right. again, horrible  clunky workaround, but it's what i have
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:02 PM
  • When drag and drop to the command prompt was removed with Vista for some strange security reason someone wrote a script which allowed it but it took a while. Interestingly it was restored for 7. I'm sure someone will find a way to patch this, best if it's Microsoft, let's keep our fingers crossed.
    Seasons greetings!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:55 AM
  • Humming ... "Have it our way, at Microsoft" ... Catchy tune!

I have gotten the distinct feeling there is a theme for what they've done, for the things that have been removed...  But I can't put my finger on it.  An attempt to make it possible for support people to always be able to tell a user where to find something, maybe?  A ruthless attempt to rid our computers of icons entirely, because "they're so old fashioned"?

I do know this:  The Personal Computer is getting less personal!!!

-Noel
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Please post Fix ASAP...
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Well Service Pack 1 Release Candidate is out and I don't see this blocking problem fixed in it. Working with files is impossible without auto sort and auto arrange turned off. I have formatted and gone back to Windows XP SP3. No problem with that OS.

Microsoft can't take any action or notice but I definitely can.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:55 AM
  • I see that the above link no longer works - probably by design, just as we have been told why free sorting is no longer available to us in Win 7 and Win 8.  My explorer in Vista NEVER crashed when I used this feature.  I, like many others Microsoft is ignoring, consider this a terrible FLAW in Win 8 design.  There is no reason we should not be given the option to disable the terrible auto-arrange feature we are forced to contend with at this time.  Microsoft send out patches and fixes for many things all the time, and I can't find any good reason this hasn't been done for this issue.  When I called Microsoft, they acted as if they did not know what I was talking about.  Convenient for them.  When I purchased my laptop with Win 8 pre-installed on it, I may have thought twice if I had known this important feature had been taken away.  Microsoft engineers, I KNOW how I want my files, folders, and pictures organized, and you have made it a nightmare for me to do so.  Thanks for nothing. 
    Friday, July 19, 2013 10:15 PM
  • There's actually a pretty nice, free Windows tweaking product called Folder Options X available now that brings back the functionality being missed here.  It's just one of many options documented in my books for returning functionality back to Windows.

Check this out:  http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800/software/FolderOptions.htm

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:37 PM