Win + X not working windows store apps don't install RRS feed

• Question

• Win + X not working 

Can't right click on start button I looked at some other forums and they referenced looking at the WinX folder. I created another user account and everything works as it should I copied the group 1/2/3 folders from the working user to my user account and it still doesn't work.

Another issue I have (not sure if it is related) is for some reason all my apps are gone from the windows store. I go to the windows store my apps section and they all show as not installed. I installed one and it opens but when I go back to the windows store my apps section it says not installed again... I ran windows update and everything is up to date and restarted my computer but the problem persists...

thanks for the help

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:26 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately that didn't work. I ended up adding a new user and copying all my data over from my old user account. 

Thanks for the help

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Friday, January 30, 2015 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Records Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:12 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi TheKstarks,

The start menu issue might be caused by third party system optimize software, to resolve the issue, try to fix the IsShortcut registry value for shortcuts.

Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe).

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \piffile

Check if there is a “IsShortcut” value.

if you don’t find it, right click on the right pane, and select New -> String Value to create a new registry value.

Name the new registry value as IsShortcut. No value data required.

Restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, it might be caused by third party program using same shell extension, you should try to find this program and uninstall it. Here is a tip: right click on your desktop check the third party software in the menu and uninstall them first. Then restart your computer and see if the start menu works properly.

About the Windows app issue.

Method1

Since Windows 8 will need to be activated before the Store and apps will work. You will need to either be signed in to Windows 8 or the Store with a Microsoft account to be able to use an app that uses a Microsoft service. So please make sure your Windows activation state is still activated and Sync your app license again by using following steps.

Step 1: On the Start screen, tap or click Store.

Step 2: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Settings.)

Step 3: Tap or click App updates.

If you haven't signed in to the Windows Store, sign in using your Microsoft account.

Step 4: Tap or click Sync licenses.

Method2

If syncing the app license doesn't help, press  Win+R. Enter wsreset then click OK, In Windows 8.1 the store will simply open. It resets the Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps.

Please try Re-registering all applications in Windows store by running following command in command Prompt.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Method3

We also recommended running Apps troubleshooter on your computer and see if it could find and fix this issue. You also could restore your system to an earlier point.

About App troubleshooter:

You can download Apps troubleshooter from

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

If you're still having trouble with the app after you running it, please upload the troubleshooting result and we will help you according to the results.   

Regards

Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:00 AM
  • Unfortunately that didn't work. I ended up adding a new user and copying all my data over from my old user account. 

Thanks for the help

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Friday, January 30, 2015 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon Records Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:12 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 7:29 PM
  • Hi TheKstarks.

Thanks for your update, we will mark your post as an answer if your issue has been resoved, the solution will help other users to handle similar issues.

Regards

Monday, January 26, 2015 1:27 AM