none
Running DPM 2010 in a Virtual Host on Vmware. What is the impact rate? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have been trying to see if there are any other negative effects of running a DPM server in a virtual enviroment exept that you loose the ability to protect a Hyper-V host and that you should use ISCSI. If you read documentation about ex Lync you can see a impact rate of i thing 100% when you calculate the requirements for the Lync Server. Is there anything like that for DPM 2010? Or any other things that you need to consider.

// Best regards Jonas

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonas (Hej Jonas =) )

If you run DPM2010 on a virtual server operating system you can till protect a hyper-v guest if you install a DPM agent on a host. I refere to your text: "I have been trying to see if there are any other negative effects of running a DPM server in a virtual enviroment exept that you loose the ability to protect a Hyper-V host"

The one thing you loose is the ability to install the Hyper-V role on the virtual DPM server (but this cloud be done anyway, i'm not sure it's supported though) wich DPM uses to index the VHD file and preform Item Level Restore. ¨

Regarding your question about Lync DPM doesn't protect Lync as a Workload like for example SQL, SharePoint. Hyper-V etc.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:40 PM
  • There is nothing described by Microsoft for these Virtual Machines considerations.
    DPM needs a lot of resources but we don't know what's the impact.

Maybe you could contact your microsoft sales person to know more about that point.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Thanks for the answers.

I will calculate the DPM Server hardware as the same as if it was a physical host then.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:23 PM