none
Hyper V host restart from time to time after installing Veritas 16

Question

• we had do installation for Veritas 16 on two HyperV servers (HyperV server1, HyperV server2), and once we finsih the installation, we noticed that both servers start to restart from time to time and when we uninstall all services related to Verotas from hyperV server1, the server never restart from that time, 

I had involve Veritas support , but after one month of checking the issue, they are saying that the issue is not from their side, may be it is from Microsoft side.

again I do the installation on the Hyper V server1 , the server start to restart again from time to time.

this is the error message I'm receiving when the server restart

Monday, May 14, 2018 10:12 AM

All replies

• this is the link to the memory Dump mentioned in the Logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynht9uw1617i716/memorydump.rar?dl=0

Monday, May 14, 2018 10:18 AM
  • "I had involve Veritas support , but after one month of checking the issue, they are saying that the issue is not from their side, may be it is from Microsoft side."

Very interesting buck passing.  You can prove that removal of an application from the system stabilizes the system, and installing the application causes the system to bugcheck.  Yet the application owner, the one who has written an interface to the operating system, claims that it is not their application but the operating system to which they are attempting to write.  Support failure on the part of Veritas.  You should provide the dump to Veritas and have them debug the issue.  Microsoft cannot access the Veritas code.  Only Veritas can do that.

At a minimum, I will assume that the Veritas application you are having issues with is their antivirus application.  Are you sure that you have set the recommended exclusions?  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3105657/recommended-antivirus-exclusions-for-hyper-v-hosts

tim

Monday, May 14, 2018 1:05 PM

• Did you Installed any Anti Virus on the Hyper V host? If u installed AV please try to uninstall the AV and Install the Vertias Backup 16.

What is the OS running on your hyper V?

I was experiencing the similar issues on my Mailbox server. After creation the expections on AV it was fine.

Regards,

Mohammed

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Br, Farhan

• Edited by Farhan508 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:55 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:41 AM
  • Agree with @Tim Cerling

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Br, Farhan

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:03 AM
  • there is Macfee installed on the servers and I had add all the exception required for Veritas files and services. even I uninstall AV but still the same is happening.

I have 2012 R2 OS.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Its not recommended to Install Veritas on Hyper V host. It should be on Installed on separate server.

Regards,

Mohammed

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. 

• Edited by Farhan508 Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:15 AM
  • I have Veritas installed on a separated Backup server as "CAS" but recently we install it on both HyperV servers as "MMS" , so the traffic will not be through the network. the traffic will be through the HyperV and the VHDX hosted on the SAN storage.

we make the two HyperV servers as MMS and since we did that, we start to have that kind of restart, 

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:38 AM
  • Push the problem back to Veritas.  If the problem does not exist when Veritas is not installed, and starts as soon as you install Veritas, it is NOT a Windows issue.

tim

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:14 AM