AD RMS Application Exclusions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ive just configured AD RMS running W2008R2. Everything is working great, templates in different languages, GPO distributed templates,.. except Exclusion Policies. I am not able to exclude a user and applications(such as EXCEL). Could anyone please help me solving my showstopper? I dont want to use registry to prevent applications use AD RMS...

Thanks a lot

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi big head84,

with an application exclusion you do not disable RMS in Excel but you your RMS does not issue a license for Excel. So aa user could still protect spreadsheets with another RMS server or the live id RMS. What version of Excel do you have? I guess you run Windows 7, correct?

regards,

lutz

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi big head84,

with an application exclusion you do not disable RMS in Excel but you your RMS does not issue a license for Excel. So aa user could still protect spreadsheets with another RMS server or the live id RMS. What version of Excel do you have? I guess you run Windows 7, correct?

regards,

lutz

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi lutz,

thanks for your reply.
    Great, now I know the stuff about license issuing - I thought Excel wont show RMS options in any way.. Thanks :)

There is 1 RMS server installed running W2008R2. An environment with W7 Ultimate with Office 2010 Professional Plus (14.0.6106.5005) + some old machines using Office 2007 (12.0.6562.5003). All I want is to exclude all Office 2007 applications from using RMS in any way. I started with Excel 2007. According to instructions (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/284.ad-rms-how-to-exclude-an-application-from-accessing-your-rms-cluster.aspx) Ive enabled Application exclusion policy and added a new one. As a file name excel.exe, minimum version 0.0.0.0 and maximum version 12.0.6562.5003. I still can open or create RMS protected documents using Escel 2007 :(

Just to clarify, I am the owner of all Rights Policy Templates and also Im an RMS Enterprise Administrator

Regards

Saturday, August 4, 2012 1:46 AM
  • I have same issue
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 9:23 AM