SCOM SP1 TCP Port Monitoring - Not receiving sustained alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I use a watcher node to test port 25 to several mail servers. I've found that when the port is down or connection times out, we receive a single alert. I'm trying to receive suistained multiple alerts if the port remains down. Kindof like taking off alert suppression, but I don't see an option for this. The behavior seems to be that if the port become accessible again the alert clears and then will fire another alert if it goes down again.

Any one know a way to make the alert contuinuous if a port is down?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:22 PM

Answers

• Since this is the result of a monitor, it will alert when it changes state one time.  Using monitors to do alerting has the advantage of receiving only one alert.  What you could do is use a timed reset monitor instead of a two state monitor - so that the monitor resets itself after 30 minutes or so without a failure.  Then if a subsequent failure (at your interval) occurs, you will get another alert.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:42 PM

All replies

• i don't see why that would help, apart from generating more alerts in your database, making the db bigger and scom slower. Unless you manually close the alert (just don't close it :)), but then the port monitor will stay unhealthy until it is reachable again. This is also the reason why you only get 1 event as the monitor will only generate (or clear) an event when the state changes.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Since this is the result of a monitor, it will alert when it changes state one time.  Using monitors to do alerting has the advantage of receiving only one alert.  What you could do is use a timed reset monitor instead of a two state monitor - so that the monitor resets itself after 30 minutes or so without a failure.  Then if a subsequent failure (at your interval) occurs, you will get another alert.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:42 PM
  • "Mark as Answer", no activity for a month. Feel free to re-open this
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Did anyone figure out how to do this?  I am looking for something similar.  The goal is to keep paging until the alert is resolved without bloating the DB...  Any help would be great!
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:13 PM