Error editing specific task sequences - can import, but not edit packages in the sequence - "An error occured when storing the task sequence." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi superfriends,

Got a weird one here.

I have two separate SCCM heirarchies with separate sites - let's say X1 and X2. I have a TS I've been developing in X1 and I'd like to export it to X2.

I've done this before in a sandbox environment, and after a bunch of package substitutions, renames, etc - the sequence accepts the import and all is well. However, this time, I'm running into some weird issues.  I'll list them off here.

Stats: SCCM 2007 R2 SP2 on all sites
    MDT 2010 installed and extensions configured on all sites

Issues:

1. I first tried an export of the sequence, then import on the new site. It gave me the two errors (boot image, would you like to ignore) and (invalid packages, please edit.) So, I chose to edit, and spent about a half hour making sure the right programs were in place. If I hit Apply, I got a weird error: "There may be too many steps in the task sequence object. Please see log file for more details." If I hit OK, I got an error similar to "An error occured when loading the task sequence."

SMSadminui.log says here:

[3][5/25/2010 1:31:13 PM] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nOut of memory \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

Other choice excerpts:

\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nNot found \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

2. Here's a fun one, too: If I duplicate my sequence at X1, then edit it within X1 still, and delete half of it - I get the same errors. Here's some more excerpts from SMSAdminUI.log:

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.OsdCommon.OsdUtilities.SetSequence(ConnectionManagerBase connectionManager, IResultObject taskSequencePackage, IResultObject taskSequence)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
    instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus
    {
     Description = "Invalid sequence input parameters - task sequence not found.";
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssptspackage.cpp";
     Line = 2711;
     Operation = "ExecMethod";
     ParameterInfo = "SMS_TaskSequencePackage";
     ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
     StatusCode = 2147749889;

TaskSequenceProvider.log is pretty much empty, no errors to speak of there.

3. So since I couldn't get it from X1 to X2, I exported the XML and then added the disable="true" line after the description of each step. It would import correctly into the site this time, however, if I edit a description field of any step, it lets me hit OK and save it. But if I edit a program or run command line in the slightest, it bombs out with the error when storing task sequence error.

4. So, I spent all morning redoing by hand all of the old package names and linking them up to the new site's package names within the Task Sequence XML file - all the codes so they would match. I did this, and now the sequence will import correctly into SCCM, and I can open it, change descriptions, etc. But same behavior, if I edit a program or run command line it bombs out and gives me the error.

5. I exported the TS from X2, checked it out, then imported it back in to X1 and tried. Same result. Can't edit it.

6. I made a new custom task sequence and copied and pasted my entire step tree from one to the other. Same issue. "An error occured when loading the task sequence." Here's some choice text from smsadminui.log. Nothing in the task sequencer log of the site server or sms provider.

\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssptspackage.cpp";
     Line = 2711;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };

[3][5/25/2010 1:40:51 PM] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nOut of memory \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.PropertyData.set_Value(Object value)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.SetPropertyValue(String propertyName, Object propertyValue)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.set_Item(String propertyName, Object value)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObjectBase.SetArrayItems(String propertyName, List`1 value)\r\nManagementException details:

So, I could definitely use some help if anyone has seen this before. It boggles me that even on the same site the sequence was made, if I duplicate it and delete a bunch of steps I get the same errors.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:45 PM

Answers

• Well, seems like it was a WMI memory issue. Reset the WMI service and all is fine. I was able to duplicate on 3 separate site servers.

Reboot would've worked too, but can't quite do that so easily on production boxes....

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:19 PM

All replies

• Rebooted my desktop, here's some more from smsadminui.log:

[3][5/25/2010 2:08:00 PM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.OsdCommon.OsdUtilities.SetSequence(ConnectionManagerBase connectionManager, IResultObject taskSequencePackage, IResultObject taskSequence)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 2711;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;

Here's the smsprovider log on the server:

[4440][Tue 05/25/2010 14:06:19]:
    e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\siteserver\sdk_provider\smsprov\ssptspackage.cpp(2711) : Invalid sequence input parameters - task sequence not found.
    [4440][Tue 05/25/2010 14:06:19]:
    Invalid sequence input parameters - task sequence not found.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Also - if it helps, sometimes during this import/export escapade I got some errors saying:

[3][5/25/2010 9:29:08 AM] :System.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    {
     Description = "Failed verifying schema version property in wmi sequence";
     ErrorCode = 2147500037;
     Line = 2932;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Well, seems like it was a WMI memory issue. Reset the WMI service and all is fine. I was able to duplicate on 3 separate site servers.

Reboot would've worked too, but can't quite do that so easily on production boxes....

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:19 PM
  • side note: i had this problem today also, thanks Mike for the advice above it worked :) ,

in my case however you need to restart the WMI service on the SMS Provider server , in other words the server hosting your Configmgr SQL database, doing so will prompt you to restart the SMS Agent Host service, dont worry if it complains that it couldnt stop the service(s) in time, as it will stop them and you will just need to verify they are both stopped before starting them.

cheers

niall

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Make sure you close the SCCM console while restarting WMI.  It didn't work for me until I closed the console.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Worked superb!
    Friday, December 29, 2017 2:09 PM