How to deal with EMET problems? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we enrolled EMET to all of our clients (mixed environement Windows7, Windows 8.1 and some Windows 10; lets say baseline same configuration but as users are local administrators it might be very different). To keep the configuration simple we enrolled the three default protections for Internet Explorer, Popular Software and Recommended Software.

We now have a couple of user which are having problemlos. Most of the problems don’t end up with an EMET notification but it just slows down the whole machine. Especially we have a lot of users complaining about the loading time of the calenders in Outlook; some are not able to attach files to mails or the „save to file“ function in Excel is not working any more.

The tough thing for us is: Those problems don’t throw an EMET error nor are they constantly. It might work as well as it might fail / is just slow.

The suggested way to deal with problems after installing EMET is to disable the differnet EMET modules step by step. But as we are not able to recreate the problems in a testing environement we are not really able to do this (most of our Clients are out on the road and not in the office).

What steps would you suggest to get rid of the slowdown? Any best practice expierences with EMET?

Thanks for your support

Jan

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:52 AM

All replies

• Firstly, make sure all PCs are fully updated.

Ask them to open IE without add-on and check if problem persist.

Friday, March 4, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Hey,

the PCs are fully updated and starting the Browser without any add-ons is not helping :(

Sunday, March 6, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Most likely suspects: EAF, EAF+, or both.  There's a post in this forum about "EMET 5.5 EAF Performance"

Personally, I found that in EMET 5.1, EAF+ destroyed the performance of I.E. 11 and Firefox.  But it seems the EAF "improvements" in EMET 5.5 have turned that mitigation into a problem, too.  I'm holding off on installing EMET 5.5.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:44 PM