none
Migrate DPM 2007 to a New Domain RRS feed

• Question

• At this time I am not planning on upgrading to 2010, just moving my W2k3 32-bit Std tfrom Domain A to Domain B .

The server will have the same name and IP number.

However some of the protected server shares will be rolled into an ESXi server containing three servers at least.  So I expect I will need to stop protection on old servers and then set up new PG on FS01, etc.

Any suggestions for the best plan is appreciated as we will be quite busy mgrating all the servers and PCs to Domain B.

Peter Jam
    Monday, January 17, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That is correct, it's basically starting from scratch.  You can just remove all the data sources from protection and choose the option to delete the replica. Or, when you un-install DPM, choose the "remove data" option to delete all replica and recoveryoints.  That will free up the disk space in the DPM storage pool.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by pjamme Friday, January 28, 2011 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Yes - After a library full inventory, Right-click the Imported tape and select "Recatalog imported tape" Once cataloged, the tape contents should show up under the recovery tab under the EXTERNAL DPM TAPES, and you should be able to browse the contents and restore from there.

The restore options available will be limited to restoring to a network share or disk of any server that has an agent installed.  You cannot restore back to original location.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Unfortunatly, We do not support moving a DPM server between domains.

Moving the DPM Server to a New Domain
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808685.aspx

If you want to move protected machines between domains, you must follow the steps in this technet article:

Moving File Servers and Workstations Between Domains
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795728.aspx

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Mike,

Even if all the servers in Domain A are migrated to Domain B at the same time?

Peter Jam
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Unfortunatly no, all the information about the Servers are stored in the DPMDB using FQDN, and there is no way to globally change all the records to reflect a new FQDN.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Mike,

So I might as well change the server name and start from scratch?

It is currently called DC02 even though it is not a DC.  I would name it DPM01.

Will there be any way to restore data after the Domain migration?

If not how to I remove backups from the old installation?  I have two arrays and one is filled and the other is 25% approx. 

Peter Jam
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

That is correct, it's basically starting from scratch.  You can just remove all the data sources from protection and choose the option to delete the replica. Or, when you un-install DPM, choose the "remove data" option to delete all replica and recoveryoints.  That will free up the disk space in the DPM storage pool.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Mike,

Will it be possible to restore data to a different location after all this is done.

for example directory DWG from file server file01 to File server fs01?

Peter Jam
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

If you are starting over from scratch, there will be nothing to restore.  But in general, DPM can restore any protected data to any other server that has a DPM agent installed on it.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Mike,

Sorry, I left out restore from tape.  I have Quarterly tapes for the past year as well as 12 for the last 12 weeks.

Peter Jam

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:02 PM
  • So Mike,

Are may tapes going to do me any good when i make the move?

Peter Jam
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

Yes - After a library full inventory, Right-click the Imported tape and select "Recatalog imported tape" Once cataloged, the tape contents should show up under the recovery tab under the EXTERNAL DPM TAPES, and you should be able to browse the contents and restore from there.

The restore options available will be limited to restoring to a network share or disk of any server that has an agent installed.  You cannot restore back to original location.

Friday, January 28, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

Kinda scary , but I think I'll be ready the middle of February.

Have a great weekend,

Peter

Peter Jam
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Mike,

I hate to be a pain, but I think I misunderstood this comment.  When you say un-install DPM do you mean the DPM server or the DPM Agents?

If I need to uninstall DPM 2007 and then re-install i might have a problem.  I have the DPM 2007CD and proof of license from Insight, but i cannot find a product key.

Does DPM 2007 have a product key or is it hard coded in the CD?

Peter Jam
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Since you are moving the DPM server from domainA to domianB, you need to uninstall DPM and re-install it after moving the server to the new domain. 

I don't believe it prompts for key, but just do test install on another server (maybe a VM) to be sure.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:28 PM
  • OK,

I can do that I need to fix reporting while i am at it and repair says to uninstall DPM.

I searched the "Install DPM 2007" technet BB808735 and there is no mention of a product key.

Normally I always put labels on my media with things like product key and this CD does not have so I was not certain it needed a product key.

I will un-install next weekend and re-install after migrating to new domain and renaming server.

Thanks Mike,

Have a great day

Peter Jam
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:50 PM