Computer shuts down if the BitLocker PIN is not entered in RRS feed

• Question

• This COULD be a firmware issue, but it did not happen when my systems were running Windows 7, but it does happen since they were upgraded to Windows 10.

When a system is powered on, the BitLocker PIN screen appears.  If no attempt to enter a PIN is made, the system shuts down after 60 seconds.  I'm OK with it shutting down, but I want to make the timeout more like 10 minutes.  How can I do this?

Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:18 PM

Answers

• There is no way I know that you can set the timeout. But you can disable that feature completely if you launch the command on an elevated command line:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootshutdowndisabled 1

• Marked as answer by JT65 Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:04 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:15 PM

All replies

• There is no way I know that you can set the timeout. But you can disable that feature completely if you launch the command on an elevated command line:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootshutdowndisabled 1

• Marked as answer by JT65 Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:04 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Well, I'm disappointed that I can't have a more reasonable timeout, but that's life. I'll just have to incorporate this change into my OS deployment process.

NOTE: This command does NOT work via PowerShell.  (I use PowerShell as my command shell whenever I can).  It ran correctly via the command shell.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:04 PM