Moving Files RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to move entire files to another drive? I know how to do so, in XP, but have never been able to discover how to do so in Win 7. The only option that I've found is the "copy to" button, but it doesn't list all of my drives as an option.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In addition, you can highlight Navigation panel which is enabled by default under Organize==>Layout. To move the entire files to another drive, please take the following steps.

1. Click on the source disk in the left Navigation panel, and press Ctrl + A to select the entire folders.

2. Press Ctrl + C, then click on the destination drive in the left Navigation panel, and press Ctrl + V.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:07 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Rule 1: Never forget right click

1) In Explorer's right panel any item highlit (hover mouse over object- folder, pgm, dll pic, song etc.)
     a) Can be copied\moved from "Edit" toolbar dropdown which you aim to where you want result.
     b) or right click on highlit opens selection pane including copy which, if selected will allow
    right click Paste selection - to desktop, or any folder you right click. Useful for I.E./Browser URL's if in mail say you want to bring something to someone's attention.  

2) You can highlight multiple (Explorer) objects for action (copy, move,delete,rename..*) by pressing "Shift" key & passing mouse cursor up or down from the single highlit 1) above.

3) I am typing this into a Notez.txt file created by right click -> New on my desktop. To put this into response to you, I place cursor on last character & drag it up to first , right click highlit ->Copy
    After login to forum, in reply, I will right click ->paste response to there.

* For what it's worth; while the status bar in explorer no longer shows size of x objects, right clicking highlit->Properties does.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:13 PM
  • If all the files you want to copy are in 1 folder, you can press Ctrl+A to select them all.
    Holding Shift and clicking a file here and then another one over there will select all files between the files clicked on.
    Holding Ctrl and clicking mutliple files will select and keep selected the files you click on.

1.You can then copy and paste the files as mentioned above

2.You can have 2 explorer windows open, 1 with the source of the files, and one with the destination of the files, and drag the selected files from one window to the other.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:05 PM

All replies

• Rule 1: Never forget right click

1) In Explorer's right panel any item highlit (hover mouse over object- folder, pgm, dll pic, song etc.)
     a) Can be copied\moved from "Edit" toolbar dropdown which you aim to where you want result.
     b) or right click on highlit opens selection pane including copy which, if selected will allow
    right click Paste selection - to desktop, or any folder you right click. Useful for I.E./Browser URL's if in mail say you want to bring something to someone's attention.  

2) You can highlight multiple (Explorer) objects for action (copy, move,delete,rename..*) by pressing "Shift" key & passing mouse cursor up or down from the single highlit 1) above.

3) I am typing this into a Notez.txt file created by right click -> New on my desktop. To put this into response to you, I place cursor on last character & drag it up to first , right click highlit ->Copy
    After login to forum, in reply, I will right click ->paste response to there.

* For what it's worth; while the status bar in explorer no longer shows size of x objects, right clicking highlit->Properties does.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:13 PM
  • If all the files you want to copy are in 1 folder, you can press Ctrl+A to select them all.
    Holding Shift and clicking a file here and then another one over there will select all files between the files clicked on.
    Holding Ctrl and clicking mutliple files will select and keep selected the files you click on.

1.You can then copy and paste the files as mentioned above

2.You can have 2 explorer windows open, 1 with the source of the files, and one with the destination of the files, and drag the selected files from one window to the other.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements
    - JoelbX
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

In addition, you can highlight Navigation panel which is enabled by default under Organize==>Layout. To move the entire files to another drive, please take the following steps.

1. Click on the source disk in the left Navigation panel, and press Ctrl + A to select the entire folders.

2. Press Ctrl + C, then click on the destination drive in the left Navigation panel, and press Ctrl + V.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Dale Qiao

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:07 AM