HELP! Cannot change taskbar color!!!! WIN7!! RRS feed

• Question

• So when I first got my new Inspiron 14r I wanted to change the taskbar. It was easy. I went to the personalization page and came upon this:

[Taskbar] I can't change the color-taskbar-color.jpg

I hit red, and changed it. Today I came across a WIN7 shortcut page. I wanted to try some of them, and I tried high contrast. When I hit the high contrast buttons again to turn it off, nothing happened. I set the design settings back to default, changed my wallpaper and when I went to change the taskbar, I came across this:

This will not let me change the taskbar, and some of the settings on small things changed. Like my McAfee SecureSearch Bar is now outlined in blue.

Please help!

P.S. I cannot do a System Restore.

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:44 AM

Answers

• 1.  Your system dropped out of Aero and to what looks like the Windows 7 Basic theme.  If you did not choose this on purpose, then perhaps Aero has stopped working because of something you've installed, or something that's gone wrong.

Click Start, then type aero into the search box.  When Find and fix problems with transparency and other effects comes up, click it, and go through the troubleshooter.

2.  If you cannot get a System Restore to complete, try this:  Reboot and press the F8 key just as the power on self test ends.  This should start the Advanced Boot Options screen, where you can go through the Repair Your Computer menu item, ultimately to get to the System Recovery Options dialog.  System Restore from that dialog has a greater chance of succeeding.

Good luck.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, March 2, 2012 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

Please change back to the theme you originally used.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:33 AM

All replies

• Also, It used to be that when I hovered the mouse over a program in the taskbar, it showed a small preview of the window. Now it only shows some words describing the page or the title.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Please change back to the theme you originally used.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:33 AM
  • 1.  Your system dropped out of Aero and to what looks like the Windows 7 Basic theme.  If you did not choose this on purpose, then perhaps Aero has stopped working because of something you've installed, or something that's gone wrong.

Click Start, then type aero into the search box.  When Find and fix problems with transparency and other effects comes up, click it, and go through the troubleshooter.

2.  If you cannot get a System Restore to complete, try this:  Reboot and press the F8 key just as the power on self test ends.  This should start the Advanced Boot Options screen, where you can go through the Repair Your Computer menu item, ultimately to get to the System Recovery Options dialog.  System Restore from that dialog has a greater chance of succeeding.

Good luck.

-Noel

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Also, It used to be that when I hovered the mouse over a program in the taskbar, it showed a small preview of the window. Now it only shows some words describing the page or the title.
    The EXACT same thing is happening to me. I tried deleting the application that I believe caused it and nothing is working please help.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:33 AM

Good luck.

-Noel

That aero thing seems like it would work, it even says I have a problem, its just that it says I have to close the mirror thing and I already uninstalled the mirror application. So how do I "close" the mirror? 
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:46 AM
  • check if your graphics card drivers are all if yes then check if your motherboard drivers are all

Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:06 PM