none
Exchange 2010 Migration - WAN Optimization

Question

• Hello!

We want to migrate Mail-boxes from an Exchange 2010 server to another Exchange 2010 server in another subsidiary over the WAN. At both sides is a Riverbed WAN-Optimizer.
    Problem is that the traffic will not be optimized.

Somebody knows a solution for this or had that problem, too?

Exchange 2010 uses MRS to move the mailboxes. Does MRS uses encryption?
    If yes, could that be deactivated?

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:43 AM

All replies

• You should ask Riverbed since they developed the optimization.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:48 PM
  • I have worked with Riverbed in the past on this.  Priasoft, the company I work for makes Exchange migration software and we wanted to know this as well.

What we found was that Riverbed can possibly optimize migration traffic, but only if the devices are "domain aware".  The reason is that MAPI, by default, encrypts data and the Riverbed devices (as with other vendors too) can't break that encryption unless it's part of the domain.

However, even after dealing with that, we found that it only had about a 10% improvement on the overall effort...not really enough to justify all the extra work.  The issue is that the optimization works by a pattern of "i've seen that before".  Since nearly all the data passing thru on migration would be considered "new", there isn't much left to optimize unless you were to migrate the same data twice or more...but why would you?

-Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:15 PM