PLEASE HELP;poor performance after cpu upgrade RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently upgraded my dads cpu from an athlon 64 3500+  2.2ghz to a athon 64x2 3800+ 2.0ghz. I ran a benchmark performance test before and after. I updated the bios and downloaded some  dual core optimization software from AMD. The task manager recognizes two processors and it shows the system utilizing both of them too. I'm VERY bummed that the performance test showed a 10% decrease in overall performance. I kind of spent money I don't have trying to do my dad a favor. Do I need to run a repair installation of the operating system so it will load the multi processor kernels?  If so, why is the system recognizing it?
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:24 PM

Answers

• OOPS!! I thank you for your advice but, it turns out I goofed. It just occured to me that maybe I should try and uninstall the performance test program and reinstall it.  Apparently it recognizes the type of cpu you have (Of course) when you install the software and was still running a single core test on it.  It was 424 (the cpu mark) now it is 750.  The performance test is passmark 6.1 it works pretty well from my experience. My computer overall scores 1668. I have a  Asus P5W DH deluxe mobo, quad core 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.11ghz, a 160gb raptor X, 4gbs of crucial ballistix 800mhz memory, nvidia 8800gt graphics card, and i'm running XP Pro x64 on it.  I want to thank you again for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your response and sharing your experience with us.

For your reference, here is a good tool named  CPU-Z which is a good freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Note: The third party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you let me know What "performance test" you refers to that "showed a 10% decrease in overall performance"?

Is the computer running slowly with poor performance than ever now?

If possible, please send some screenshot to us at
    SCEDATA@microsoft.com. which indicates the error messages window you are experiencing. At the same time, please check the CPU information under System Information console for further research or you can also collect and send the System Information to us.

Collecting System Information
    ============
    1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.
    2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
    3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".
    4. Send the compressed file to us at
    SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2693544&siteid=17
    Robbin Meng - MSFT

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:46 AM
  • OOPS!! I thank you for your advice but, it turns out I goofed. It just occured to me that maybe I should try and uninstall the performance test program and reinstall it.  Apparently it recognizes the type of cpu you have (Of course) when you install the software and was still running a single core test on it.  It was 424 (the cpu mark) now it is 750.  The performance test is passmark 6.1 it works pretty well from my experience. My computer overall scores 1668. I have a  Asus P5W DH deluxe mobo, quad core 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.11ghz, a 160gb raptor X, 4gbs of crucial ballistix 800mhz memory, nvidia 8800gt graphics card, and i'm running XP Pro x64 on it.  I want to thank you again for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone was going to.

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your response and sharing your experience with us.

For your reference, here is a good tool named  CPU-Z which is a good freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Note: The third party contact information included in this article is provided to help you find the technical support you need. This contact information is subject to change without notice. Microsoft in no way guarantees the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:48 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the tip that's something I will most definately use in the future. It gives a pretty detailed report. It will really help me in making more informed upgrades in the future.

Take care,

James Bennett

MCP 

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:23 AM