Unknown Windows Installation Assistant Window RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I boot WinXP a Windows Installation Assistant Window appears. The

window gives no clue as to what it's trying to install, there's nothing to click on it,

right clicking produces no response .... I looked in the task manage and I can't find

it, I tried services.msc and I can't find it, I'm stumped as to what it is.

BUT, I had trouble installing sound drivers on this system, I had several failed

installs involving incorrect drivers before I found the right ones, and I suspect

the unknown install window could result from that. That said, I still don't know

how to track down and remove whatever is causing this window from starting.

Can someone tell me how to track down and get rid of this unknown installation

assistant window?

Thx, Gus

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

• Try starting up in safe mode and uninstall the bad software/drivers that did not match your system.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Navigate over to www.sysinternals.com

Search for autoruns and install this program on your system. Run this program as administrator.

This program is easy to use and figure out what is boot running the installer.

Which version of windows installer are you using? Might update this system to windows installer 4.5 and solve your sound card driver problems.

Also consider installing dot net 4.0, 3.5 sp1 and then if you need it 1.1 sp1.

Remember to post back your results, and mark this as answered if you find this helpful.

Keith

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:42 PM