Preventing unneccessary downloads during IE11 installation RRS feed

• Question

• I am performing an upgrade to IE11 and wish to minimize downloads from the internet during installation. I have packaged using IEAK and know how to include the prerequisites.

My question is regarding the Neutral Pack

On some systems I receive the following in the log:

“The neutral pack was successfully downloaded from the internet. Installation will continue using the downloaded package.”

What is the neutral pack, how large is it? My concern is that I could saturate the WAN if too many machines are downloading a file at once depending on the size of the file.

On other machines the message is:

“The neutral pack was not successfully downloaded from the internet. Installation will continue using the extracted package.”

I haven’t been able to find details on this neutral pack.  Anyone have any insight?

On quite a few other machines during install multiple language packs are downloaded even though all the installations are the English language version.  I’d like to find the cause for this as well.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It might be some prerequisite update for IE.

If you want to install IE 11 in Windows7, Windows update will automatically install some prerequisite components, for example 2834140. If it failed, Internet Explorer stops the installation process. For your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2847882

For your question, you can review the IE11_main.log file under the Windows folder to check the prerequisite update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:55 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:40 AM