Software Deployment in SCE2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I created a software package and deployed it fine.  At first I deployed it to a small computer group and then pushed it out to All Windows Clients.  Everything ran fine.  Now I have a newer version of the program and not sure how to proceed.  I have thought about just replacing the installation files for the current software package but that really doesnt help me in the long run. 

Is there a way to apply an update/software package the same way I did by pushing it out to a smaller computer group and then to all windows clients?

Since I pushed it out to All Windows Clients, I wasnt sure what would happen if I pulled the approval from the smaller group.  I imagine that nothing would happen.  Was it a good idea to use the All Windows Clients group in this case?  Is there a best practices for software deployment in SCE2010?

If I have to create a new package, how do I remove the old package from a test group first? 

I have so many questions and I am having trouble finding what I am looking for.  Any help is much appreciated.

- Shawn

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hello Shawn,

Thanks for choosing Microsoft SCE. It seem that you have some problems on software deployment. I would suggest some useful articles in this scenario:

Firstly, you can uninstall a software that has been deployed before.

How to Uninstall Deployed Software in Essentials

Then you can creat a new software package with the new version and deploy it to any necessary group.

You can also create an update package for the software if you have the update installation files.

How to Create an Update Package in Essentials

If you deploy a new version of a software package to the agents that already have an elder version of the software, it depends on the software itself to detect if there was an elder version installed. And the software itself determines how to deal with this situation.

For example, if you deploy IE7 to the managed computers, the installation will delete any elder version of IE. If you deploy Office 2007, it will co-exist with Office 2003 if the latter already installed. In this situation, if you would uninstall Office 2003, you must unistall it manually.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:23 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:04 PM
  • update package vs software package really apples and oranges...they're applied the same way.  if you wanted you could remove the old program first by publishing a software or update package that specifies the removal of the software in question, then push the new software out.

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Shawn,

Thanks for choosing Microsoft SCE. It seem that you have some problems on software deployment. I would suggest some useful articles in this scenario:

Firstly, you can uninstall a software that has been deployed before.

How to Uninstall Deployed Software in Essentials

Then you can creat a new software package with the new version and deploy it to any necessary group.

You can also create an update package for the software if you have the update installation files.

How to Create an Update Package in Essentials

If you deploy a new version of a software package to the agents that already have an elder version of the software, it depends on the software itself to detect if there was an elder version installed. And the software itself determines how to deal with this situation.

For example, if you deploy IE7 to the managed computers, the installation will delete any elder version of IE. If you deploy Office 2007, it will co-exist with Office 2003 if the latter already installed. In this situation, if you would uninstall Office 2003, you must unistall it manually.

Hope it helps,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:23 AM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:04 PM
  • First what software are you trying to deploy/update?  If the program been installed with an msi, typically the patch is an msp file which can be deployed with sce using a couple of tricks.

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:50 PM
  • We are deploying the Shoretel Call Manager and it is an MSI.  I dont think there is an MSP available but I will check.
    - Shawn
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:20 PM
  • We are deploying the Shoretel Call Manager and it is an MSI.  I dont think there is an MSP available but I will check.
    - Shawn

most msi's know what to do when a previous version is detected.  Try deploying the msi to a test machine and see what happens

Friday, October 22, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Do I just create an update package then or another software package?  I am assuming that I just leave the original package deployed at this time?

Thanks.

- Shawn
    Friday, October 22, 2010 3:52 PM
  • update package vs software package really apples and oranges...they're applied the same way.  if you wanted you could remove the old program first by publishing a software or update package that specifies the removal of the software in question, then push the new software out.

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:24 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:06 PM
  • 1. I don't want to uninstall the current package unless that is part of the upgrade.  (dont think ShoreTel offers that option)  Since I will be testing it out on a few clients first.

2. I need to push this out to a test group first.  If I need to uninstall/unapply the original package first, I need help on best way to do that.

a.  I have a group called ISD set up that I pushed software out to first, then I pushed it out to a Test group.  After all those worked I pushed it out to All Windows Client.  Since All Windows Clients contain users that are in the ISD and Test groups, there really isnt a way to pull the software from those computers only, correct?  Should I be creating groups for all software packages individually?

I really want to take advantage of the Software Deployment but I am struggling to come up with my own process to make it happen in an orderly fashion.

- Shawn
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:21 PM
  • you can pull software from a specific group, you can also add approvals for all windows clients, and explicitly exlude certain groups, the approval will display as mixed.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Ok, how do I exlude a group?  The only option I see is the Uninstall option but that doesnt appear to do that.
    - Shawn
    Friday, October 22, 2010 9:01 PM
  • once it's installed you'd need to remove it, then future approvals you can leave certain groups to not approved and they won't install, even though their parent group has the approval.

Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:02 AM
  • That still isnt sitting right with me.  If I select All Windows Clients, it wont matter if I select a sub group or not, if a computer is a member of the All Windows Clients, it will be installed, right? 
    - Shawn
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Ok, so I have got the new software package installing but I ended up creating a group to push to called z-ShoreTel 14.51.9303.0 instead of using any of my normal computer groups.  My thought here is that I could pull a computer from that group easier than doing it from their normal groups and of course the All Windows Clients group.

I think I can handle it from here as far as when to unapprove the original install and/or delete the package.  I appreciate your help Tim and if you have any best practices you have come across or can recommend to me as far as software deployment, it would be much appreciated.

- Shawn
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:39 PM
  • if you select specific groups other than all windows clients on the deployment screen after you create the software package, it will only install to groups you've selected.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:41 PM
  • let me rephrase that...in short you are correct, if a pc is part of a parent group that has an update approved, it will install.

Monday, October 25, 2010 4:47 PM