Create Data Model from DB2 Database RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DB2 database, and I want to create data models from this database. I'm a developer and I want to give to my coworkers access to this DB2 database, but this guys doesn't know how to do a relation beetwen two tables or write a SQL Query. I need to create a data model, but I'm wondering if is it possible to do in PowerQuery o PowerPivot.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 10:06 PM

Answers

• Power Query supports DB2.

What you could do is to create a number of queries in Power Query that expose the most common tables in DB2. You can clean up these tables, removing all unneccesary columns, filter old items, and change column names to names that are relevant from a business perspective. You can even make it very ease to create relationships between the tables, e.g. by giving the columns for a relationship the same name in the two tables involved. This way, when your coworker loads these queries into Power Pivot, Power Pivot will be able to automatically detect the relationships. The columns don't need to have the same name, but it does help (if only to give the user a clue about what data belongs together).

Sharing of the queries can be done through the data catalog that comes with Power Query.

Obviously, you can also build a model in Power Pivot and share the model as a whole.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:33 AM