none
Strange error displayed when importing .CILX file created in previous install of VAMT

Question

• A few weeks back I had a base install of VAMT (v 3.x) on a Windows 2012 test machine that has since been rebuilt with a new motherboard and it's final set of parts. 

During that period - I wanted to see how VAMT worked - so I performed a proxy activation for a Windows 10 ENT (MSDN) using one of my supplied MAK keys. I was able to successfully activate the install and save it's activation information to a CILX file.

I read on Technet that this file could be used again to authorize the same machine as long as the hardware did not change to radically.

Last week I reinstalled VAMT on the new server and wanted to import this CILX file into the new VAMT database on the rebuilt server. But I get a bizarre error when attempting to import the file:

What exactly is the core issue here? Is it the database? I used an instance of SQL Server 2012 to create the test VAMT database and on the new build I am used SQL Server Express 2012. Or does the VAMT database have to be empty before import? I did re-added a bunch of existing machines to the new instance of VAMT before import - including the install that this .CILX file belongs to.

I thought that the whole point of proxy activation (and exporting a .CILX file) was to capture activation data to a file so it could be reimported into future installs of VAMT to reactivate the same machine if required?

Appreciate any info that anyone can share on this error

Cheers,

B

Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:14 AM

All replies