none
"RegisterThisConnectionsAddress" option for Virtual Switch changes to False after reboot all nodes in cluster

Question

• Hi

I have two node Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster with all recomended updates.

After restart all nodes (ttos2, ttos3) in my cluster, sometimes I lose access to VM on one node. I found the source of problem but I don't know how to solve it.

Before restart all nodes in cluster, DNS settings of the main virtual switch (vEthernet (VS-E1) ) wchich all nodes and VMs use to connect to LAN are:

Nr Hostname InterfaceAlias              InterfaceIndex RegisterThisConnectionsAddress UseSuffixWhenRegistering
    -- -------- --------------              -------------- ------------------------------ ------------------------
     1 ttos2    Local Area Connection* 11               17                          False                    False
     2 ttos2    Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1             1                          False                    False
     3 ttos2    vEthernet (VS-E1)                       21                           True                    False
     4 ttos2    Ethernet 3                                      14                          False                    False
     5 ttos3    Local Area Connection* 11               17                          False                    False
     6 ttos3    Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1             1                          False                    False
     7 ttos3    vEthernet (VS-E1)                        22                        True                    False
     8 ttos3    Ethernet 2                                       13                          False                    False

Sometimes after restart all nodes option RegisterThisConnectionsAddress for one of these nodes switch to False.

Due to this node is not registered in our domain DNS server and I cannot ping it and some options of mmc console "Cluster Manager" stop working. Fore example you cannot change settings of VM.

My procedure to restart cluster is as below:

1. PS command: stop-cluster

2. Restart first node, wait 2 minutes and restart second node.

3. PS command: start-cluster.

Why option RegisterThisConnectionsAddress for Virtual switch on one node change status from True to False?

Kind Regards Tomasz

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Yukio Seki,

Please check the GUI setting of the VM:

If the option is not checked, please check it and verify if the setting will  change to "true".

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:03 AM
  • Hi

This problem don't concern VMs it concern hyper-V host systems. Cluster include two nodes with (Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 R2) operating  system server, so it doesn't have GUI - only Power Shell and CMD. So I enable this option using Power Shell command but as i wrote, sometimes after restart all cluster (all two nodes) in one node this option change from True to False (in GUI - from check to uncheck).

Kind Regards Tomasz

Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:04 AM
  • Hi Yukio Seki,

You said, "Restart first node, wait 2 minutes and restart second node"

Does that mean the setting gets enabled in that 2 minutes?

Just a hunch, please check if you have any startup scripts to disable the settings because, the setting should by default be enabled on the interfaces and when not required we would manually disable it

Regards,
    Bala

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi
    Does that mean the setting gets enabled in that 2 minutes? -No. I used two minutes just like that but it is not depend on it. I don't have any script to disable this settings.

For example during this weekend, optnion "RegisterThisConnectionsAddress " for virtual network adapter vEthernet (VS-E1) on all two Hyper-V nodes changed value from True to False. So DNS records Host (A) for nodes, cluster name and Cluster Update Aware (CUAHVServer1) were not refresh by claster and DNS server deleted them. Very strange behaviour.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:45 PM
  • I changed value from False to True for virtual netowrk adapter vEthernet (VS-E1) on all nodes.

Hostname InterfaceAlias           RegisterThisConnectionsAddress  

ttos2    vEthernet (VS-E1)     True
    ttos3    vEthernet (VS-E1)     True

After restart all nodes:

Hostname InterfaceAlias           RegisterThisConnectionsAddress  

ttos2    vEthernet (VS-E1)     False
    ttos3    vEthernet (VS-E1)     True

Why this value on one node change to False?

Kind Regards Tomasz

• Edited by Yukio Seki Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:52 PM bug
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:52 PM
  • I've found the reason why Host A in DNS servers is deleted. During connection to cluster node by default rdp connection Windows client this host A of this node is deleted. Very strange.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:17 PM