none
How to enable Windows Defender after reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I disabled Windows Defender (in Win 10 PRO x64 version 1511) after ESET Smart Security installation.

Unfortunately Microsoft force users to use its own security software and users haven't got any choice to select their desired security software. Neither I had a choice - had to uninstall ESS because WiFi internet access was completely blocked with ESS+Win10 combination.

Thus I wanted to enable Defender again. I changed the option in Group Policy Editor (Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender > Turn off Windows Defender > Disabled). In my registry location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is no key to disable Defender.

Now Defender is working after OS reboot when I manually launch it. However in notification area there is no Defender icon after OS reboot. Yet the software is to be launched during OS start (registry key: Windows Defender; "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"-runkey).

How can I see Defender icon in notification area after OS start?

I also set my default installation path on non-system HDD partition. Now I see there is also Windows Defender folder in that partition (path is E:\Program Files\Windows Defender). When I launch MSASCui.exe and set Start service, the application get stuck everytime.

Why there are two Defender folders in the computer?

Monday, August 1, 2016 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi username,

"but the value cannot be changed (An error occurred while setting the registry key)."
    Please open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    Check that registry key`s permission. Compare it with a normal machine.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:48 AM

All replies

• I just add that %ProgramFIles% path is to the system partition (C:\Program Files).
    Monday, August 1, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Hello,

Try fixes mentioned here, see if they helps:

http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-could-not-start-the-windows-defender-network-inspection-service

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Insider MVP, MS MVP (2014-2016)

Monday, August 1, 2016 3:22 PM
  • In action center there isn't shown any problem with security items.
    In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender" there ain't any DisableAntiVirus nor DisableAntiSpyware entry as I mentioned above.

What is the name of running Defender process that is shown in Task Manager?

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 5:38 AM
  • Hi username,

Try the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WinDefend 
    and locate Start registry keyRegedit:         
    Automatic - 2
    Manual - 3
    Disabled - 4
    Automatic (Delayed Start) - 2

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 6:53 AM
  • Start registry key possesses value 2, but the value cannot be changed (An error occurred while setting the registry key).

What else can I try about setting Defender start during Win startup?

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Hi username,

"but the value cannot be changed (An error occurred while setting the registry key)."
    Please open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.
    Check that registry key`s permission. Compare it with a normal machine.

Best regards

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

SFC doesn't work (failed to repair), DISM doesn't work (error 0x800f081f).

I read these problems can be possibly fixed through upgrading Windows 10 within Windows 10. I created Windows 10 boot flash disc through Media Creation Tool, but in the installation menu there cannot be ticked the "Keep personal files and applications" option. It says "Your files, applications and settings cannot be preserved because your actual Windows version is possibly installed in unsupported directory or you are trying to install older Windows version". I downloaded the Windows installation through Media Creation tool last week.

How can I get rid of these errors?

Saturday, August 13, 2016 4:33 PM
  • "You can’t keep Windows settings, personal files and apps" error can be fixed with changing proper Default system UI language. Mine is set to czech and I want make a change to english. Nevertheless the command:

DISM /image:C:\/set-uilang:en-US
    doesn't work (I'm not surprised anymore). It says:

Error: 1639
    The command line is missing a required servicing command

What can I do about it?

Sunday, August 14, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Hi username,

Try to download a new Windows 10 ISO from the link below (choose corresponding language) and choose "Upgrade" install.

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Best regards

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:29 AM