none
how to upload projects into project server 2010 which got created from Microsoft Project 2010 Proffessional ( .mmp) and got uploaded to sharepoint site document library RRS feed

• Question

•  

hi

can any one suggest.

Projects which got created through Microsoft Project 2010 Proffessional  (.mpp) got uploaded into Sharepoint 2010 sites document library need update/create projects into project server 2010 programtically.

Thanks & Regards, Krishna

Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:48 AM

Answers

All replies

• You could do this programatically via VBA, but you would need to make sure your resources are cleansed beforehand (to deal with duplicates).  Unless this was 100+ projects, i would do this manually.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:34 PM
  • I agree with Ben and perhaps add this. 

The project managers need to just import the projects into Project Server.  The import process often requires some corrections to the schedule and decisions for managing duplicate or misspelled local resource names.   If it is 100 projects, then this is to much for one person.  The project manager will know what needs to be adjusted.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCC 2011, MCC2012
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, October 19, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Thanks Michael and Ben For Quick reply,

I agree with you guys.

But i got a scenario where PM/others who got access to portal with admin are, going to be upload there Project plan created in Microsoft Project 2010 Proffessional  (.mpp) to our intranet sharepoint portal.Where we need to do programtically upload of this plan/Tasks into Project server 2010.

If possible could you provide some Pseudo code or any suggestion on this further.

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:14 AM
  • My suggestion is that you need to change the scenario.  Try using the import as Michael suggests, you will find that it checks variorus items, including replacing local resource with enterprise resources, mapping local custom fields to enterprise custom fields, and using an Enterprise calendar.  Depending on the project, there may be many questions that need answering, and they are not simple yes/no, but rather choices that depend on your projct server setup. 

If the projects do not use resources, and have no custom fields to map, then I would consider code, but with the realisation that it might stop and ask for imput.   I did this once for 800 projects, and used Rod Gill's Project VBA book for the basis of the VBA, however, I read the project list in from an Excel sheet and the projects were stored locally.

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Thanks ben for Quick Reply,

But right now i am in real urge in middle of my requirement.where i need to upload/create project which got uploaded of ".mpp " into my sharepoint portal to be published into Proejct server 2010.so can you give me a better idea how i can i able to achieve this.

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry, I have no better ideas than those I have written.  Others may....

Friday, October 19, 2012 12:21 PM
  • hi Ben,

I tried to Use Publish method available in below way.But no luck.can you suggest any modification in below code which make me the work out.

Process[] prs = Process.GetProcesses();
                foreach (Process ps in Process.GetProcesses())
                {
                    if (ps.ProcessName == "WINPROJ")
                        ps.Kill();
                }

Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.Application projApp=new Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.Application();           
                string filePath = @"C:\Filename.mpp";                     

projApp.FileOpenEx(filePath, true, Missing.Value,
                        Missing.Value, Missing.Value, Missing.Value, Missing.Value,
                        Missing.Value, Missing.Value, Missing.Value, Missing.Value,
                         Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.PjPoolOpen.pjDoNotOpenPool,
                         Missing.Value, Missing.Value,Missing.Value, Missing.Value,
                         Missing.Value);
                Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject.Project p = projApp.ActiveProject;               
                projApp.Publish(p,Type.Missing); 

Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Hi, I honestly believe you would be better posting this question in the customisation forum - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

or, getting consultant in with the relevant experience to help you.

Friday, November 2, 2012 11:59 AM
  • hi ben,

I done that earlier.But no replies over there also.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/e2973c6c-6609-4997-9fba-c39f5788b7b0

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Then the issue is too large or complex to be handled by the support forum, and you'll need to persue a different strategy for aquiring the knowledge you require.

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:09 PM
  • yes I hope.At the Same time i am hoping to get better help from MSDN Forums also.

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Understand that what you are asking for is a VERY BIG development project. I would guess several months of effort.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:46 PM
  • yes Guys i am agreeing with you.

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:51 PM