SCCM Distribution Point and Distribution Point Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts, 

We need a solution, we have added Distribution points to Distribution point group and while distributing the content to the distribution point we have always distributed the content to Distribution point group. now we need to remove distribution point from distribution point group. 

my query is if we remove the distribution point from distribution point group will the content in the distribution point removed ? or will this cause any issues ? 

Thanks

Balaji S

Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:51 PM

All replies

• Yes, content distributed to the DP group will be removed from the DP if it is removed from the DP group.

or will this cause any issues

Issues with what?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, January 7, 2019 2:49 AM
  • Hi Jason, 

Thanks for the update, issues means will it affect the DP role and clients getting the content from the DP will be affected. 

Thanks

Balaji S

Monday, January 7, 2019 3:55 AM
  • Of course clients will have issues if the content is not on the DP. That's the whole point of distributing content to DPs.

Monday, January 7, 2019 4:26 AM
  • Hi Balaji ,

I have done a test on my lab and the result is that the content will remain constant, not be removed. So I think removing the distribution point from distribution point groups will have limited impact. The test steps are as below:

1. Create a new DP group named removetestDPgroup without any DP.
    2. Create a new package named ZIPtest and distribute it to the removetestDPgroup.
    3. Add two DP to the DP group removetestDPgroup: the site server and a remote DP simonwin10.***.
    4. After a few minutes, the content ZIPtest appears in both server.
    5. Remove the remote DP simonwin10.*** from the DP group.
    6. Monitor for hours, the content ZIPtest remains constant.

Here’s a more detailed test for content in DP and DP groups for your reference:

Distributing content to Distribution points and Distribution point groups in ConfigMgr 2012

http://www.vansurksum.com/distributing-content-to-distribution-points-and-distribution-point-groups-in-configmgr-2012/

I hope the information above is helpful. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 7, 2019 11:59 AM
  • To my knowledge and IME, this is not the defined or expected behavior. The content should be removed.

Did you check the actual Content tab on the DP itself after removing it from the DP group?

Monday, January 7, 2019 3:33 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update, i have also build the test environment and checked it is working as expected. also i have noticed one strange behavior, if we go to the site status we are seeing duplicate entries for the DP. 

for example, if we have DP1 assigned to SC1 now after reassigning to SC2 in site status we have two entries for DP1 one with SC1 and one with SC2.

any suggestions how we can fix this. 

Thanks 

Balaji S

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Hi Jason, 

Thanks for the update, i have checked the content in the DP and everything seems fine, also tested application installation in client PC and distributed the new content to the DP everythig seems to be working fine. 

but as mentioned earlier we are seeing duplicate entries in site status, now working on how we can fix that. 

Thanks 

Balaji S

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:53 PM
  • Hi Balaji,

What are SC1 and SC2, boundary groups, SCCM sites or anything else?

In my lab, there’s only one entry for the remote DP simonwin10 as only DP role installed on it. If right click those duplicate DP1 and select “show messages”, can we find any related clues?  And does the distmgr.log on the site server record any errors or warnings that can guide us the troubleshooting direction?

Hi Jason,

I have checked the in the package ZIPtest’s properties and on the DP simonwin10 itself, the content zip file is really remained. As shown below.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Simon Ren

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:41 AM
  • Hi Simon, 

SC1 and SC2 are secondary site 1 and secondary site 2. we are seeing duplicate entries in monitoring - site status . 

thanks 

Balaji S

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

I have researched a lot of the duplicate distribution point entries in our inner database. Maybe, it will probably require direct modification of the database, so it’s recommended that you open a support case with Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) to get better support. Similar issue described here for your reference:

Duplicate Distribution point entries in console

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c4b6f2d4-8565-46bb-bab1-842f9829dbc2/duplicate-distribution-point-entries-in-console

double distribution points records in database (with same Machine ID)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/fe79c5ed-3913-4e98-9431-d9a2a9c700d8/double-distribution-points-records-in-database-with-same-machine-id

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Simon Ren

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi Balaji,

Just checking in to see if there are any updates.

Based on our communication, would you please help close the first case “if we remove the distribution point from distribution point group, will the content in the distribution point removed”? And for the second case “duplicate entries for the distribution point in site status”, it’s recommended that you create a new case to get better support.

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Best regards,

Simon Ren

Thursday, January 17, 2019 7:10 AM