none
Windows 8 professional not supporting DirectAccess RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone confirm that DirectAccess will not work with Windows 8 professional? I just upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop to this OS and I cannot get it to work anymore! Why would MS disable this feature? Now I have to get another Technet subscription to be able to test this stuff?

I think I'll stick with W7 for now, this proves way to much of a disadvantage compared to staying with W7 for now.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:04 AM

All replies

• DirectAccess clients running Windows 7 (Ultimate and Enterprise editions only) or Windows 8 (Enterprise edition only).

Regards, Rmknight

• Proposed as answer by Boudewijn Plomp Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:39 AM
  • That is correct; DirectAccess is only available in Windows 8 Enterprise. Please review the following link. It shows an overview of all Windows 8 editions and the supported featues (including DirectAccess).

Windows 8 editions
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

• Proposed as answer by Boudewijn Plomp Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:44 PM
  • To add a couple more, these are technically the operating systems that can be DirectAccess CLIENTs:

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    Server 2008 R2
    Windows 8 Enterprise
    Server 2012

Having a server be a DA client is an interesting scenario for something like a branch office with a local file server, where the company wants that branch office to connect to the datacenter 24x7x365 via DA instead of an expensive MPLS.

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't work with Direct Access.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Up until 4 months ago I had a Win7 ultimate build working in production. I now have Win8.

Check you configuration. Do you have any working Enterprise clients? 

Regards, Rmknight

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate absolutely works with DirectAccess. I'm working on one right now :)
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Yes & a lot but had only 1 with Win7 Ultimate & even Direct Access assistant showed me "This version of Windows does'n support Direct Access".

Hmm... then probably this laptop was upgraded from Win7 Home or smth like that!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread but stopping pro clients from using direct access is as much as telling smaller companies to 'get lost'

all this talk of easy to deploy direct access servers then no support for pro clients is fully contradictory!

If you buy small volumes of Laptops from a suppler, say Dell, they come win windows 8 pro.

I'm really upset by this and the fact that its never mentioned in any promotional material!

MS, get your act together! 

Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Could not agree more.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:08 PM
  • While I agree that I think it would be great for Windows Pro to include the DirectAccess components, the truth is that they don't, and it's nothing new. Windows 7 Pro also did not work with DirectAccess. If there was a Windows 8 Ultimate SKU it probably would, but that SKU does not exist.

Small comanies getting access to Enterprise is pretty cheap/easy for most these days. If you haven't spoken to a rep about an Enterprise Agreement in the last couple of years, I recommend you do so, almost everyone that I work with has one no matter what size company they are. Otherwise there are other ways for you to get access to Enterprise SKUs, like InTune.

I'm not debating you, I agree with you both that I would like to see it included with Pro, but the number of corporate networks that are running the Pro SKU are being rapidly replaced with Enterprise.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:47 PM
  • But there's a middle area that this falls down. The mid-sized companies are really caught in the middle, especially when you consider sectors like Manufacturing. Consider many of these companies (mine included) stretch resources for more than 3 years, which makes Software Assurance a very expensive proposition over time, if you consider that the asset will outlive a single SA cycle, so therefore must live for 2 cycles - and a 6 year old asset basically becomes twice licensed (cost wise) AND assumes it can be serviced and would be usable at the time it is finally retired from a LICENSING perspective. However, if you assume the asset WILL NOT live that long, you buy the Windows Pro, upgrade it with the SA cost, depending on the timing of when you bought it within your SA cycle, it MIGHT or MIGHT NOT end up twice licensed.

That being the case, we rely on Pro licenses only and are in the position that we have to make do with this. This works for the most part - but BranchCache, DA and virtualization end up being the Enterprise class features that make this difficult. BC, I can live without - because we're tryng to deploy RDS and/or Citrix. Given above stated virtualization challenges from a licensing perspective, we're limited to Pro licenses at the endpoint with session hosting only - we can't run Win7/8 in the datacenter with Pro licensing at the endpoints.

Personally, I don't like the SA scheme itself. While it does ensure you're working with the most modern software versions to keep current, that does not necessarily reflect budgeting strategies in a struggling economy, and indeed rules out many obvious decisions.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:01 PM
  • While I agree that I think it would be great for Windows Pro to include the DirectAccess components, the truth is that they don't, and it's nothing new. Windows 7 Pro also did not work with DirectAccess. If there was a Windows 8 Ultimate SKU it probably would, but that SKU does not exist.

Small comanies getting access to Enterprise is pretty cheap/easy for most these days. If you haven't spoken to a rep about an Enterprise Agreement in the last couple of years, I recommend you do so, almost everyone that I work with has one no matter what size company they are. Otherwise there are other ways for you to get access to Enterprise SKUs, like InTune.

Actually it is something "new".  The whole point of this thread is that there is no "Windows 8 Ultimate" to replace Win7 Ultimate that filled a very real gap between SOHO businesses and so-called enterprise level organizations for those that use features like DirectAccess.  If there was that "SKU" then things would be as before and we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Small companies getting Win8 Enterprise may not be "hard" or super-expensive, but it still could easily cost more than a retail equivalent and requires the IT staff to stay ahead of other employees or executives making computer purchases in order to not waste money on unnecessary licenses.  The reality in smaller businesses is that this is often very difficult to achieve, and so you then not only have to purchase a volume license but also have unused OEM licenses in many cases.  Under Windows 7, an OEM version of Win7 Home or Pro could easily be upgraded to Ultimate, so you at least could salvage some of that value.  In addition, it meant that OEM PCs wouldn't need to be wiped clean and installed from scratch even if an upgrade was necessary (even though I'd still recommend it).

Bottom line, if there was some technical reasons for the change I might understand, but there is no technical reason at all that there couldn't be a retail equivalent to Win8 Enterprise, so the whole thing just seems stupid.  And it also reinforces the (valid) impression that Microsoft is always messing with the product versions making things constantly obscure as to what SKUs there are and what "features" are or are not included in each version.  It is beyond me why Microsoft can't finally just come up with a simple 2 or 3 version offering and stick to it with new OS releases.  Two versions (Home, Business) would be ideal, but if they have to squeeze out more on the "enterprise" side then just have Home, Business, and Enterprise with all SKUs available in all channels (OEM, Retail, and VL).

Saturday, March 23, 2013 6:01 AM