none
Ignore Unrelated Dimensions in Tabular Model

Answers

• Hello,

You can't.

Or at least there is no option to do so in the Tabular Model Designer in Visual Studio/SSDT.  Technically you can set it using AMO, but I would not recommend it (despite AMO being a supported interface, I don't think Microsoft envisioned it being used like this).

A workaround (in the 2012 release) is to create a DAX measure that behaves like IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions=False.  An example is provided by Marco Russo here: http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/budget-and-other-data-at-different-granularities-in-powerpivot/ (search the text for "IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions").

Maybe a tabular equivalent to the IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions property will come in a later release.

Christian

Please mark correct responses as answers!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can't.

Or at least there is no option to do so in the Tabular Model Designer in Visual Studio/SSDT.  Technically you can set it using AMO, but I would not recommend it (despite AMO being a supported interface, I don't think Microsoft envisioned it being used like this).

A workaround (in the 2012 release) is to create a DAX measure that behaves like IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions=False.  An example is provided by Marco Russo here: http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/budget-and-other-data-at-different-granularities-in-powerpivot/ (search the text for "IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions").

Maybe a tabular equivalent to the IgnoreUnrelatedDimensions property will come in a later release.

Christian

Please mark correct responses as answers!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Thank you Christian,.. hope Microsoft comes with easier solution in next versions.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Hi Christian,

This is an old post but another option is to use ISCROSSFILTERED function to find out if there is any filter for the unrelated dimension in the current context. Is there any problem with this method ?

Weight:=if(ISCROSSFILTERED(reporting_codes[reporting_code]),BLANK(),SUM( [lbs]))

thanks

Arun

Friday, June 12, 2015 7:40 PM