none
Project Online Time Zone Settings Issues RRS feed

• Question

• We just start use Project Online for our project management.  We set the SharePoint Online > Site Settings > Regional Settings to "(UTC +08:00) Kuala Lumpur, Singapore" and we are confirm that our host located either in Singapore or Hong Kong.   However, we found that the date and time display in the check-out/in project message, in the PDP-Workflow Status page, task submission, and the Administration Settings that has time references are different with our timezone.

We sent Service Request to Microsoft Support and we been advised to wait for the next version of Project Online. To avoid the confuse happen to our Project Team, we have to set the Regional Settings back to "(UTC -08:00) Pacific Time (US and Canada)". However, this is 16 hours different in our region!

We all know that time is very important in a project management and reporting.  We have >30 on-going projects in the Project Online and some of them are estimate to take years to complete.  

Therefore, anybody faced this issue and appreciate it if you could give us any advice or sharing any workaround here.  Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 4:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kimberley,

Unfortunately there is no workaround at present, we just have to wait for the fix from Microsoft. I understand your frustrations but at this time all you can do is communicate this with your user base.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

• Marked as answer by Kimberley Tang Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Ya, we are new to Microsoft Project and feel disappointed with this "miss-out".  

We have advise our users to add an additional clock on their desktop if they want to perform some time tracking work.  As for the report, we manually to extract it through oData but "massage" the data into correct time zone date and time. Also, our technical team is looking into the CSOM to figure out any solution could be done to replace the front end information with custom web-part.

At last, we have to pray hard and hope Microsoft could fix this ASAP.

Also, if anybody have other suggestions, please share here and thank you.

~Kim

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:49 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Is the timezone mismatch only present in the checkout/check-in notification displayed on the PDPs?

Thanks,

Roland

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Is the timezone mismatch only present in the checkout/check-in notification displayed on the PDPs?

Thanks,

Roland

Hi Roland,

I noticed it happen in:-

• "Entry Date" and "Completion Date" for PDP - WorkflowStageStatus in the All Workflow Stage list. (if you are using Enterprise Project)
    • Check-out/Check-in notification displayed in PDP - Schedule, and some columns' datetime value in the Schedule.
    • Synchronization date and time that displayed in PWA Settings - Manage User Sync Settings. (if you are using Project Permission Mode)
    • Task Submission date and time.

~Kim

Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Thanks for the info Kim!
    Monday, November 10, 2014 7:16 PM
  • I have also heard of reports that this bug affects the "Add Delegation" page.

If you accept the default date parameters on the Add Delegation screen, sometimes the page will not add the delegation but just reload on submission without displaying an error.

This is because the dates in the "From" and "To" boxes are in West US TimeZone and the "From" value cannot be in the past from a West US perspective.

This bug then only presents itself at certain places and times in the world, but something to be aware of.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:31 PM
  • Is a fix available?  I suspect this bug is preventing many things from working.

Friday, February 3, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Is a fix available?  I suspect this bug is preventing many things from working.

I'm not sure the bug you highlight, but the Timeline Zone issue for my case has been resolved since the last release in Project Online on March-2016.  May be you could follow this blog (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/2016/03/17/project-onlinewhat-time-did-i-last-modify-that-project) to set your regional time and try again.
    Saturday, February 4, 2017 3:21 AM
  • I have also heard of reports that this bug affects the "Add Delegation" page.

If you accept the default date parameters on the Add Delegation screen, sometimes the page will not add the delegation but just reload on submission without displaying an error.

This is because the dates in the "From" and "To" boxes are in West US TimeZone and the "From" value cannot be in the past from a West US perspective.

This bug then only presents itself at certain places and times in the world, but something to be aware of.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Currently we have no report on this from our customer. However, we found that the delegation period cannot be same date for the "From" and "To".  Scratching head and wondering "why"???
    Saturday, February 4, 2017 3:33 AM