550.5.7.1 Message rejected as spam by content filtering

Question

• Hi all,

IntelligentMessageFilter is going crazy every since the latest MS Updates from 3/2012 on our SBS 2008/EX2007. Legitimate mails are being rejected left and right . I've already read through the appropriate articles re: configuring SCL Levels ect.

Actions so far:

Set SCL Level for reject action from 7 to 8, without result.

Put 2 sender domains on exemption list, which works, but we can't do this for every potential sender.

IMF Version: 3.3.10327.456

I would appreciate instructions to either: remove latest IMF Updates (these do not show up in "Installed Updates" List.)

Obtain a fix for faulty IMF Updates (Spam Filter worked fine for 2 years prior to latest IMF Updates.

Putting every conceivable sender on an exemptions list is not a solution. I would also like to avoid deactivating Content Filter.

Cheers,

Nora

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• hi,

My understand is that all message which will be sent to your exchange will be rejected by your content filter,is it right?

What's the SCl value of the legitimate mail in its message header? If you set the scl level for reject action from 8 to 9, can it work?

hope can help you

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 26, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Hi, the SCL level for legitimate test mails ranges from 0 to 6. Right now I've set the following options in Content Filter to catch all suspect mails: deactivate "Reject mails with SCL level..." activate "Isolate messages with SCL level greater than 7 to mailbox xyz" will update on this. Also read somewhere how content filter rejects mails with attachment but no text in body. A test mail like this passed the filter. However, seems our server is not the only one affected. This problem started the day after I installed the latest spam filter definitions (March 2012). Please: more testing before MS distributes filter updates. Cheers, Nora
    Monday, March 26, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Out latest staus: set Content Filter to "Isolate messages w/SCL eaqual or greater than 9". The only way we can stop rejecting legitimate mails. Of course we get our share of true Spam now as well.

Client can live with it for now, nevertheless this is an unresolved issue. Will keep my fingers crossed for next SCL updates to solve this.

Thanks,

Nora

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:36 AM
  • When you get another misclassified legitimate email can you copy here the headers of the email. These can contain useful info that will help us pointing you to the right direction.

Note that I am only interested in the anti-spam headers. These will start with X-MS-Exchange, most importantly X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Antispam-Report.

IMF Tune - Anti-spam extending the Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 IMF/Content Filter - http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:01 AM