App-V 5.0: Adding Visio 2013 and Project 2013 to a previously deployed virtual Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning.

I can successfully deploy Office 2013 via PowerShell and App-V v5.0 without difficulty.  I've read the document at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915745/en-us and followed all instructions successfully.

My question is this:  If Office 2013 without Visio 2013 or Project 2013 is virtually deployed, how can those components be added later?

For instance, we may have 100 users that acquire a virtualized Office 2013 without Project or Visio.  We then may have 25 users that require a virtualized Office and Visio without Project and, perhaps, another 15 that require Office and Project without Visio.

Currently, when I attempt a second virtual deployment of one of these components, it removes Office 2013 making it inaccessible.

How can Project and/or Visio be deployed to an already existing virtually deployed Office 2013?

Thanks very much.

John

IAmStrings

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

All Office 2013 packages will have the same PackageID.

Generate a new package for each scenario, and replace the previous package to get their functionality

Example;

Package1; Office 2013

Package2; Office 2013 + Visio 2013

User 1 has Office 2013, but also needs Visio 2013;

Uninstall package 1 and install Package 2

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Thanks very much Znack.

I was afraid that might be the answer.  I'm guessing that any personal settings (Options) from the previous config will be lost when it is removed and replaced by the new package.

Do you know if there are any files in the cache folders that are directly related to these settings that might be saved before removing the initial app and copied to the new cache folders for the newly installed config?

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

IAmStrings

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

As all settings are either stored within the PackageID or the Connection Group ID of the userprofile - a package that has the same ID or part of the same Connection Group would reuse whatever is already there.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:44 PM
  • That is fantastic.

Thank you very much Nicke for all your help with this.

It is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

John

IAmStrings

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:01 PM
  • As a part of MDOP, you'll also have access to UE-V which will provide a mechanism of moving user preferences across the same applications from difference packages.

It will require planning, configuration and deployment, but will ensure you don't face the same issue in the future.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:14 PM
  • Hello,

It is now supported to generate packages with different GUIDs;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426(v=office.15).aspx

See PACKAGEGUID

Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:30 AM