Office 2010 activation issue when deploying with ConfigMgr RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm also going to post this in the Office forum, just in case it is an Office issue and not ConfigMgr.  If that is a problem, please let me know.

I'm deploying Office 2010 with ConfigMgr and I've run into an activation issue.  I used the OCT to create an MSP file which is supposed to activate the software in a post-installation step.  It successfully installs the software, and runs the MSP.  The issue is that is is still asking for activation when the user first runs the program.  I have added in the registry key which allows non-administrators to activate, but that didn't help.  If I run the msp file by itself, it also fails to activate, but if I run the command line for activation that is in the post-install step, it activates successfully. The program is set to run with administrator rights.  The command I run to activate is:

Target:

[WindowsFolder]\System32\cscript.exe

Arguments:

c:\"Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\OSPP.VBS" /act

I have tried a few variations on this syntax, but none of them have worked. 

Clients are both Win7 and XP. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• I realize it is an Office 2007 document, but have you looked @:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd630737(office.12).aspx

Particularly the section titled: "Create a Setup customization file for the 2007 Office system" ?

Monday, October 18, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response.  I did follow that article, unfortunately, Office 2010 uses the new licensing platform introduced with Win 7 and Server 2008, so the activation requirements are a little different.  The OCT works fine, and the software gets distributed, but I can't seem to get the post-install activation to work.

Any additional thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:37 PM
  • When using a MAK key in the OCT, see the note below in the following article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx#Licensing_and_user_interface

Note:

You can also activate Office 2010 at the time that you install a MAK key by setting the AUTO_ACTIVATE property value. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In the OCT, select Modify Setup properties on the left pane, and then click Add in the right pane.

2. In the Add Property Value dialog box, in the Name box, type AUTO_ACTIVATE. Note that property names must be uppercase.

3. In the Value box, type 1, and then click OK.

For information about configuring the AUTO_ACTIVATE property by using the Config.xml file, see Setting element in Config.xml file in Office 2010.

Thanks,
    Darryl
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi Darryl,

That worked.  Thanks very much.  I'm still at a loss as to why the post-install script didn't work, but this will do nicely.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by BallieWallie Friday, April 29, 2011 5:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BallieWallie Friday, April 29, 2011 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

The AUTO_ACTIVATE property value didn't seem to work in my case... propably because we use a proxy.

The way I did get it to work was creating a little PowerShell script to configure proxy settings for the local system and the network service account (using bitsadmin), activate Office by using the cscript ospp.vbs /act command, then start-sleep for 20 seconds and reconfigure proxy settings to no proxy (Make sure to elevate these processes)

In ConfigMgr created a package with 2 programs, activate (ps script) and install (office setup... installation needs a reboot after setup) and configured the activate program to run the install program first... and then advertised it with the activate program.

And that's it.

Ps. if the proxy is set up to use basic authentication, make sure the activation url's do not need authentication.

Greets.

Friday, April 29, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi Puck-Stopper,

I think the post-install script didn't work because the ospp.vbs script needs elevation... In ConfigMgr you can elevate the Office setup but apparantly it does not run the post-install stuff in the same (elevated) process.

Grts.

Friday, April 29, 2011 6:06 PM