none
Windows Server 2012 Update Error 800703F1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, 

I am currently attempting to check for Windows Updates on a Windows Server 2012 machine, but I get the following error:

Windows could not search for new updates
    There was a problem checking for updates.
    Error(s) found:
    Code 800703F1
    Windows Update ran into a problem

I didn't bother running the "Get help with this error" because the Windows Troubleshooters never do anything useful. Some additional information: 

Most recent check for updates: Never (because I keep getting the error)
    Updates were installed: Never (same again)
    You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update

The only things that I have been able to find in my research is the error code coming up in regards to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, which don't really help my cause. Any information regarding this error is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Jeremy

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:16 PM

All replies

• I'd try repairing system and servicing health by running;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Thank you for the reply! Here are the results when I tried running those commands (ran from an Administrative Command Prompt):

sfc /scannow:
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth:
    Image version: 6.2.9200.16384
    Error: 1009
    The configuration registry database is corrupt
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:23 PM
  • That's what I came up with earlier.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978825.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Might try a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the install media.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Use the system update readiness tool –
    Download the System Readiness Tool.The System Update Readiness Tool checks your computer and tries to resolve certain conditions that could interfere with the installation of updates or other software.Here is a link to download System Readiness Tool; you may do it according to the exact configuration of the computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

Use the system update readiness tool –

Except the user has server 2012 so there would be no SUR tool available and replaced with;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Thursday, November 30, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:16 AM