Microsoft 6to4 adaptor, error code 10. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using an Advent 9112 with Windows Vista.

My device manager shows error code 10 (this device will not start) on 'Microsoft 6to4 adaptor'. I've read some posts that suggest ignoring this issue if you're not using IPv6 but I don't know if I am, or how to find this out. (I'm having some intermittent connectivity issues and some other weird things, like my laptop taking ages to shut down or start etc, which suggests it may be affecting my computer and that I therefore shouldn't ignore it. This all happened after I installed SP1 about this time last year, and I solved it by restoring to a point before the update, but I'd rather not keep denying the update if possible).

I've attempted to update the driver automatically, but 'Windows has determined that the device for your driver is up to date' and I can't find a download anywhere on the Microsoft site to install manually.
    I've also uninstalled and reinstalled (and restarted) which didn't help, and updated my chipset (I don't even know what this is, or wether it's in any way related, but someone suggested it might help!).

If anyone knows whether this is actually a problem, and/or how to solve it, I'd be really greatful.
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Based on my research, the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter actually is a virtual device which does some conversions between IPv6 and IPv4. For more information about the issue “error code 10 on Microsoft 6to4 adaptor”, please also refer to the following Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520. Therefore, this may not affect the network connections, and other issues you mentioned.

At this time, I would like to provide you some basic troubleshooting steps on the network connectivity issues and the computer takes a long time to start up and shut down and see if we can eliminate them:

1.    Please completely remove the NIC driver from both Device Manager and “Control Panel – Programs and Features”. Reboot the computer and reinstall or upgrade the driver to see if it works.

2.    Please perform a Clean Boot to check the issue.

Clean boot

=================

1)   Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)   Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)   Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:28 AM